Drool: Maingear's New OC'd Core i7 Gaming Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Are you kidding me? whats up with the super mild CPU overclocks? As if that x20 (probably some asetek LCLC variation/upgrade) couldn't handle a 975 to 4.0 easy, and the 950 to AT LEAST 3.6 easily.

Blah.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
[citation][nom]vis inertiae[/nom]Can it play Hello Kitty???[/citation]

Yes it can.

Spec requirements:

Windows® 98/ME/2000/XP Pentium® II 350 MHz or faster 32 MB RAM 250 MB hard drive space 256 color display 640x480 resolution 8x CD-ROM drive DirectX® 9.0 or higher (included on CD) 32 MB DirectX 9.0 compliant video card DirectX compliant sound card Mouse

maximus20895

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
This doesn't seem that impressive. Sure you have dual 5870's, SSD and an i7 975, but the top model is only running at 3.6 GHz. You could overclock a 920 to that with minimum effort.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]notty22[/nom]Very Nice.Some will snub their noses. But everyone would like to have the niceextras. Blu Ray, SSD, over the top memory.[/citation]

I won't snub and could care less about the liquid cooling/overclock but... that is way too much money for those parts.

Nice and clean inside though.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Those are some pretty weak over-clocks. If I'm shelling out that kind of money for a quasi-custom build, I sure as damn hell want to see some Tom's Hardware quality OCs.

chrismorley

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Sure, with some TLC you can push these higher. But these are retail systems, and each and every one has to hit those numbers each time and make it out the door in 5 days. And then be supported for a year, with someone at the other end of the phone every day, 6 days a week. Different animal than building your own. And definitely costs more than the cost of the parts.

chrismorley

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Sure, with some TLC you can push these higher. But these are retail systems, and each and every one has to hit those numbers each time and make it out the door in 5 days. And then be supported for a year, with someone at the other end of the phone every day, 6 days a week. Different animal than building your own. And definitely costs more than the cost of the parts.

yang

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Really?!? if some body is willing, I'll make a custom open loop computer with higher overclock/better water cooling components for $1000 less.

Yawn.... I'v been building rigs like this for much less money. I bet my i7 920 @4Ghz was MUCH cheaper and can run around the i7 975 easily. The ONLY reason to have an unlocked "Extreme" edition Intel CPU is if you are planing to go for world records under DIce/LN2.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
These are retarded configs. First off, everyone knows you can OC an i-7 920 to ~4GHz. Everyone also knows you don't get much extra(if any) headroom on a 950 or 975. I'm not even going to go into the rest.

banthracis

Distinguished
[citation][nom]chrismorley[/nom]Sure, with some TLC you can push these higher. But these are retail systems, and each and every one has to hit those numbers each time and make it out the door in 5 days. And then be supported for a year, with someone at the other end of the phone every day, 6 days a week. Different animal than building your own. And definitely costs more than the cost of the parts.[/citation]

They can easily do much higher OC's.
How to get 99% of i5-750's to 3.6
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-lga1156-core-overclocking-guide

Same for an i7-920
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/253365-29-core-overclocking-guide

No reason maingear can't do higher Overclocks. 3.6 is something 99% of i5/i7 chips can hit.

Sure they need extra to pay for tech support, but those exact components come out to ~$3k on newegg.

Charging over 2k to do an OC that barely beats turboboost and 1 year of support is a major rip off.

Hell even Dell 3 year on site next day support and full accidental protection only costs $600 ...

chrismorley

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]They can easily do much higher OC's. How to get 99% of i5-750's to 3.6 http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] king-guideSame for an i7-920http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] king-guideNo reason maingear can't do higher Overclocks. 3.6 is something 99% of i5/i7 chips can hit.Sure they need extra to pay for tech support, but those exact components come out to ~$3k on newegg. Charging over 2k to do an OC that barely beats turboboost and 1 year of support is a major rip off. Hell even Dell 3 year on site next day support and full accidental protection only costs $600 ...[/citation]

I know we can do higher - we do it all the time on our direct systems. But these are mild overclocks meant for mass-production retail systems. The F1X 500 is the #2 best selling Gaming PC on Tigerdirect.com right now. It's a completely different game than our BTO, direct systems. Different customers, different needs.

As to overclocks, we've been overclocking systems since 2002. And we've had to SUPPORT them. We've seen overclocks fail in year 2 and 3. We stay conservative. There's no reason to eek out a few hundred more MHz except to win a benchmark.

Yes, the F1X is tamer than we normally do. We take 960's to 3.86GHz and 975's to 4.0GHz. But we have much more time with those systems.

With the F1X it's out the door within 5 days.

As to "overpriced" - tell me what price is fair that will keep my employees around, pay taxes, insurance, packaging, marketing, etc. There's more to the cost of a system than the parts when you're talking about a whole company backing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.