Review Drop CTRL High Profile Review: The Pre-Built Custom Keyboard You Can Actually Buy

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Looks like the same innards as the Input.Club K-Type and the previous CTRL that have been available for years.

Oh man, I remember that whole Input.Club vs MassDrop thing when it happened. Yes, Input.Club created the K-Type keyboard. I was interested in it when it was first announced. But by the time it happened, I had moved on to making my own keyboards and didn't need it. They worked with MassDrop to get it made and distributed. Input.Club was not happy with the results and backed out or something. But legal <Mod Edit> happened and MassDrop was able to continue selling the keyboard. They just renamed it CTRL and then later added the ALT and SHIFT versions. So yes, they are essentially the same keyboard. Or something like that. It's been awhile and was more drama than it needed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

footman

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2004
Nice review, but there are definitely cheaper options in to the world of modded keyboards. Drop is not always the answer ;-)

For example you can pick up RGB Womier 87 keyboard with PBT doubleshot pudding keycaps, Gateron Silver speed switches and 3/5pin hot swapable base for less than $80.

I swapped out the Gateron switches for my current favorite tactile switches the Tecsee Purple Pandas, which cost me around $40 for 90 switches and the switches came with a second set of springs, cap and switch puller and silicone damping rings. The Gateron Pro Silver switches were repurposed as they are decent linears (I Put them in my sons keyboard that currently has an inferior MX brown clone).

gamebynight

Commendable
Apr 27, 2021
Nice review, but there are definitely cheaper options in to the world of modded keyboards. Drop is not always the answer ;-)

For example you can pick up RGB Womier 87 keyboard with PBT doubleshot pudding keycaps, Gateron Silver speed switches and 3/5pin hot swapable base for less than $80.

I swapped out the Gateron switches for my current favorite tactile switches the Tecsee Purple Pandas, which cost me around $40 for 90 switches and the switches came with a second set of springs, cap and switch puller and silicone damping rings. The Gateron Pro Silver switches were repurposed as they are decent linears (I Put them in my sons keyboard that currently has an inferior MX brown clone).

Thanks for reading! I agree with you. I like the CTRL quite a bit, but it's showing its age. I actually have the Womier you're talking about (and a few of their others!). Those a great boards for the money if you can get on with the RGB. I swapped my stock reds with lubed Gateron Yellows and upgraded the stabs. It's a surprisingly great sounding board for the money!