Question Drop in fps when laptop is connected to an external monitor

Sep 17, 2022
I own a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15AHC6, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H/NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050/24GB RAM DDR4 3200MHZ/512GB SSD and when I play I always have my laptop connected to a 27’ external monitor via HDMI - AOC 27G2U. I use this monitor as the primary screen so the laptop screen is always off and I have the refresh rate set at 144hz.

However I’ve noticed that when I’m playing using the AOC monitor I lose some fps (20-30 fps) so the game is averaging like 80/90 fps while if I’m using the laptop screen to play the fps I get are around 120-140. Any idea why this happens? Could it be because the external monitor is bigger (27’) and so it uses more GPU and I lose fps?

Also posted here: https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...p-is-connected-to-an-external-monitor.507831/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 17, 2022
Size of the display has nothing to do with performance. Resolution does.

What resolution are both displays? The refresh rate also impacts performance as that requires more processing power from the GPU.
Both displays are at 1920 x 1080. Yes but the game as a feature where you can unlock the fps (the game itself has a max of 50 fps - over 50 it only helps to smooth the camera movements) so you can get much more than that depending on the GPU. That's why I get 120-140 while using the laptop display but I get a bit less when I use the external monitor as the main display (like 20-30 fps less). Is there a way to increase the fps so it's almost identical to the laptop monitor?

Last edited:
I own a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15AHC6, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H/NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050/24GB RAM DDR4 3200MHZ/512GB SSD and when I play I always have my laptop connected to a 27’ external monitor via HDMI - AOC 27G2U. I use this monitor as the primary screen so the laptop screen is always off and I have the refresh rate set at 144hz.

However I’ve noticed that when I’m playing using the AOC monitor I lose some fps (20-30 fps) so the game is averaging like 80/90 fps while if I’m using the laptop screen to play the fps I get are around 120-140. Any idea why this happens? Could it be because the external monitor is bigger (27’) and so it uses more GPU and I lose fps?

Also posted here: https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...p-is-connected-to-an-external-monitor.507831/
I had this problem with my laptop where Halo would run at 60 FPS on the internal screen but I would get big FPS drops on the external screen. Are you sure the internal screen isn't doing anything, like it's not just displaying a black screen for example. Your display settings are set to 'Show only on 2' or whatever your external monitor is called.

The size of the screen makes no difference, only the resolution and the connection to the monitor will impact performance. If the game was run at the same resolution on the external monitor and the HDMI port was wired directly to the GPU then the performance between the internal and external screen should be identical.

Sep 17, 2022
I had this problem with my laptop where Halo would run at 60 FPS on the internal screen but I would get big FPS drops on the external screen. Are you sure the internal screen isn't doing anything, like it's not just displaying a black screen for example. Your display settings are set to 'Show only on 2' or whatever your external monitor is called.

The size of the screen makes no difference, only the resolution and the connection to the monitor will impact performance. If the game was run at the same resolution on the external monitor and the HDMI port was wired directly to the GPU then the performance between the internal and external screen should be identical.
Yes, the image is only displaying on the 2nd monitor (external monitor). The laptop screen is off. Resolution is the same aswell (1980 x 1080). I don't know what else to do. What I found out is that if I reduce the size of the window of the game to watch a video while I'm playing (like the game occupies half of the screen and the other half is on youtube) the fps increase which makes me think that maybe it has something to do with the size of the image displayed...but i don't know.

Yes, the image is only displaying on the 2nd monitor (external monitor). The laptop screen is off. Resolution is the same aswell (1980 x 1080). I don't know what else to do. What I found out is that if I reduce the size of the window of the game to watch a video while I'm playing (like the game occupies half of the screen and the other half is on youtube) the fps increase which makes me think that maybe it has something to do with the size of the image displayed...but i don't know.
It sounds to me when your in windowed mode shrinking the window reduces the resolution which is why it performs better. When your running the game is the integrated GPU showing a lot of activity? If your laptop is using the Nvidia 3050 it may be that the output from the Nvidia GPU is still going through the integrated GPU before it gets to the HDMI port.

Sep 17, 2022
It sounds to me when your in windowed mode shrinking the window reduces the resolution which is why it performs better. When your running the game is the integrated GPU showing a lot of activity? If your laptop is using the Nvidia 3050 it may be that the output from the Nvidia GPU is still going through the integrated GPU before it gets to the HDMI port.
I don't think so. How do I fix that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
144Hz vs 60Hz. Laptops have 1 function that pc's do not and should not have, power saving features. That includes temp regulation. With a 60Hz monitor that's being powered by the laptop, you'll almost certainly see lower fps as you'll be reaching power and thermal limits, whether actual or imposed. You won't get that with an external monitor that's not being powered by the laptop, that power can be applied elsewhere or isn't a limiting factor.

Apr 15, 2023
I have the same laptop and same problem. I get much lower performance in 3DMark when I connect a secondary display. Like 2-3K lower score. In games I get a huge performance hit and my RTX3060 performs worse than my GTX1060 in some games. It is very odd but I am sure it is an AMD driver moment.

Sep 17, 2022
I have the same laptop and same problem. I get much lower performance in 3DMark when I connect a secondary display. Like 2-3K lower score. In games I get a huge performance hit and my RTX3060 performs worse than my GTX1060 in some games. It is very odd but I am sure it is an AMD driver moment.
Maybe it has something to do with the fact than i'm using a HDMI connection and not display port cause I don't have a display port input in my laptop

Apr 15, 2023
Maybe it has something to do with the fact than i'm using a HDMI connection and not display port cause I don't have a display port input in my laptop
I doubt that is the reason. There is no other way to get display output on this device. The USB-C port on this is just USB3 and can not output video. I am having FPS drop just by having the secondary display connected even if I play on the laptops main display.

Sep 17, 2022
I doubt that is the reason. There is no other way to get display output on this device. The USB-C port on this is just USB3 and can not output video. I am having FPS drop just by having the secondary display connected even if I play on the laptops main display.
I only use the external monitor to play. The laptop screen is always off. So what do you think is the main issue for this?

Apr 15, 2023
So probably the only way to fix this would be a display port connection right?
I don't know. If there is another way of getting display output on this laptop and it solved this issue let me know. Because mine has a 120Hz screen but I can't get over 120FPS in games, even the ones that are very old like LoL and Rocket League. But when I am using the laptop by itself without a secondary display it can get like 200FPS on those games with no issues. It is extremely frustrating to be honest and I will not be buying a laptop with AMD CPU from now on since the Driver issue meme is still real.

Sep 17, 2022
I don't know. If there is another way of getting display output on this laptop and it solved this issue let me know. Because mine has a 120Hz screen but I can't get over 120FPS in games, even the ones that are very old like LoL and Rocket League. But when I am using the laptop by itself without a secondary display it can get like 200FPS on those games with no issues. It is extremely frustrating to be honest and I will not be buying a laptop with AMD CPU from now on since the Driver issue meme is still real.
Honestly I'm considering buying a laptop with a better GPU (RTX 3060) and with a display port connection because there's no other way to fix this

Apr 15, 2023
Honestly I'm considering buying a laptop with a better GPU (RTX 3060) and with a display port connection because there's no other way to fix this
Good decision. The one I have has RTX3060 but as I said CPU bottleneck and this stupid secondary monitor issue makes it perform worse than my desktop GTX1060. Bechmark numbers show otherwise but in real life it performs really bad.

Apr 15, 2023
Tried proving that having a secondary display drops performance and connected a 4K TV this time as secondary. To my surprise 3DMark score dropped from 8800 to 8700 which is almost negligible. Maybe it has something to do with the display itself since I am sure having my 1600x1200 CRT connected to this thing drops the 3DMark score at least 2000 points.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Is 1600x1200 a supported resolution? Is the output of the gpu set for rendering in 1600x1200? If it's set to 1080p or whatever your laptop screen is, it'll first render in 1080p but will have to final render in 1600x1200, which can take a bit out of the gpu.

Apr 15, 2023
Is 1600x1200 a supported resolution? Is the output of the gpu set for rendering in 1600x1200? If it's set to 1080p or whatever your laptop screen is, it'll first render in 1080p but will have to final render in 1600x1200, which can take a bit out of the gpu.
I conducted two benchmarks with 4K TV ovet HDMI as secondary like my CRT and without. only 100 score decreased. I can run the crt at whatever I want. Will compare but doubt 1600x1200 is a magical resolution that destroys performance.

TRENDING THREADS