Question Drop in fps when laptop is connected to an external monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 17, 2022
I own a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15AHC6, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H/NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050/24GB RAM DDR4 3200MHZ/512GB SSD and when I play I always have my laptop connected to a 27’ external monitor via HDMI - AOC 27G2U. I use this monitor as the primary screen so the laptop screen is always off and I have the refresh rate set at 144hz.

However I’ve noticed that when I’m playing using the AOC monitor I lose some fps (20-30 fps) so the game is averaging like 80/90 fps while if I’m using the laptop screen to play the fps I get are around 120-140. Any idea why this happens? Could it be because the external monitor is bigger (27’) and so it uses more GPU and I lose fps?

Also posted here: https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...p-is-connected-to-an-external-monitor.507831/

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 16, 2023
I own a Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 15AHC6, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H/NVIDIA Geforce RTX 3050/24GB RAM DDR4 3200MHZ/512GB SSD and when I play I always have my laptop connected to a 27’ external monitor via HDMI - AOC 27G2U. I use this monitor as the primary screen so the laptop screen is always off and I have the refresh rate set at 144hz.

However I’ve noticed that when I’m playing using the AOC monitor I lose some fps (20-30 fps) so the game is averaging like 80/90 fps while if I’m using the laptop screen to play the fps I get are around 120-140. Any idea why this happens? Could it be because the external monitor is bigger (27’) and so it uses more GPU and I lose fps?

Also posted here: https://forums.tomsguide.com/thread...p-is-connected-to-an-external-monitor.507831/
I have a similar issue and after trying multiple combinations of connecting my external monitor to my laptop I think the problem is that the port you/we are using for the external monitor is hardwired to the UHD/integrated graphics. Some laptops have a mux switch that will allow you to bypass the iGPU to the high performance GPU (rtx 3050 ti in my case), but unfortunately my laptop is not equipped with said switch.

If anyone has a solution, I'd love to hear it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The way it's supposed to work is laptops are all about battery life. Almost all laptops don't use line voltage to run, they use the battery, line voltage is used to recharge the battery, so that constant discharge/charge cycle is where much of battery life/heat issues come from.

Consequently, the igpu runs all the time, the gpu is only used at certain times, like 3d applications, but even then the igpu will switch in/out depending on the screen. So things like menus will be igpu, the gpu not kicking in until there's actual 3d file use.

Without that happening, even with line voltage charging the battery, it's possible with a big gpu to drain the battery to the point the gpu is shut down and even the 3d apps are run by the igpu.

The higher the fps and resolution, the higher the power usage, so it's possible you are hitting power limits, which is dropping fps as a result. Just because ypu get 140+fps on 1600x1200 doesn't necessarily mean you'll hit 140fps+ at 1920x1080 or higher, regardless of what Hz the monitor is set for.

It's not a desktop with a 200w+ gpu and 650w psu, it's a laptop with a 25w± gpu and a 19v (@ 40w) charging system.