Question Drop in frame rate after attempt overclocking, also cpu fan louder than before.

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
I know this is long, but bear with me:

So, this may be an issue with the graphics card, idk but it started happening after I tried to overclock it. I have a MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Gaming X 8G. I was looking and found an article of sorts on how to overclock my gpu, I downloaded MSI afterburner and a benchmarker (something that pushes the gpu to its limits to test how good it is, I don’t remember the exact name, it’s probably not important). I ran the benchmarker and then increased the core voltage to max, as it said in the article, and increased the core clock by 20-30. I ran the benchmarker again, didn’t see much of a difference but once or twice there was a bit of lag, I decided that I should just go with the base speeds. So I just reset all the settings to default and applied them. I play overwatch, so later I started a game of overwatch. I have it to show frames and I used to get around 110-120 FPS, now I’m getting 40-50! I played a few games and the highest it ever went was to 80! I’m about to get a 155hz monitor so I want the high frames! Also, my cpu fan was really loud, louder than it was before (I set it so it increased the rpm the hotter the cpu gets), i reopened MSI afterburner and made sure the settings were default, it played more and the FPS didn’t change! I restarted my computer (because MSI afterburner doesn’t keep the gpu settings through restarts) so the settings reset, my fan was still loud, and I still got the same frames. Even when I had no programs open and the computer was just boot, the fan was still noticeably louder than when it was supposed to be. The fan speed still changed when I started gaming, but it was just louder than before. I looked in my motherboards bios, the cpu was at a cool 32 degrees C, and the fan speed was almost silent, but when I quit the bios the fan got a lot louder, I have a cpu temp monitor app on my computer and it was the same, 32 degrees C, so why is it louder in desktop?

My specs:
cpu: intel core i5-9600k
gpu: MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Gaming X 8G
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
PSU: Cooler Master MPY-7501-AFAAG-US MWE 750 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 750W Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
SSD: ADATA SU800 512GB 3D-NAND 2.5 Inch SATA III
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-212L-16PR-R1 Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler
(I’m getting a new Noctua cpu cooler soon, this is a new system (had it a few months) and I thought this would hold me over until then)
Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BR Eclipse P400S
(I use the 2 case fans provided, I believe they have been making the majority of the noise, I’m replacing them with 4 Noctua fans. If you need the fan specs: 120mm 3-pin,
1300 +/- 10%RPM
50.6CFM
1.257MM H2O
23.5 dB-A)
I’m using windows 10 pro 64-bit

Thanks if you read this far, I have a complicated problem.

Last edited:

ThatSourMelon

Commendable
Apr 21, 2019
Full system spec? include PSU make and model
cpu: intel core i5-9600k
gpu: MSI VGA Graphic Cards RX 580 Gaming X 8G
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO
PSU: Cooler Master MPY-7501-AFAAG-US MWE 750 Gold Full Modular, 80+ Gold Certified 750W Power Supply
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
SSD: ADATA SU800 512GB 3D-NAND 2.5 Inch SATA III
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-212L-16PR-R1 Hyper 212 LED CPU Cooler
(I’m getting a new Noctua cpu cooler soon, this is a new system (had it a few months) and I thought this would hold me over until then)
Phanteks PH-EC416PSTG_BR Eclipse P400S
(I use the 2 case fans provided, I believe they have been making the majority of the noise, I’m replacing them with 4 Noctua fans. If you need the fan specs: 120mm 3-pin,
1300 +/- 10%RPM
50.6CFM
1.257MM H2O
23.5 dB-A)
I’m using windows 10 pro 64-bit