Dropbox 16.4.30 on Windows 2000? It's Works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
I just updated my Windows 2000 SP4 with Update Rollup 1, and all updates to try to run XP software, and not only can I run most XP Software, to my surprise I could install the latest version of Dropbox, sign in and my icon appears on taskbar and syncing away it goes.

It's hard to believe, It's impossible to get Dropbox working on Windows XP since August, yet Windows 2000?, no problem, sure you can!

I guess the team forgot to do an OS check for that.

Anyway you can follow this tutorial and install the latest version of Dropbox, and Firefox, and much much more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDXtJqdcKM

Solution
Win 2000 (a.k.a. W2K) was the OS I started my OS beta testing involvement with. Originally, it was referred to as NT5 (following Windows NT 4.0). It was indeed an excellent operating system and it birthed XP. Good "genetic" makeup.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
For the many folks still using Win 2000, I am sure this is useful. The question though, is this. Why?

Securing (not) this OS and using connected to the 'Net is a recipe for disaster. What practical use is there for this formerly venerable, but not beyond obsolete OS, in a modern context?

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
It's just a part of my multiple-boot setups from 2000 to 10, by no means my main OS, I successfuly managed to install in on 2 modern machines, hardest part is installing, finding rare obsolute drivers and getting it to work, it's lightweight, and perfect for Wikipedia browsing and Youtube, but nothing much else.

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
Firefox 50.1.0 right now, great considering all those years I was just stuck with Firefox 12.0, and being careful and using common sense don't get worms and viruses, it completely unprotected, no firewall either, I haven't use any anti-virus software in years on any OS, I know what's running, and I constantly monitoring for any suspicious changes, I have the knowledge to remove anything unwanted before it attacks, just a hobby where I like to be in control.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Win 2000 (a.k.a. W2K) was the OS I started my OS beta testing involvement with. Originally, it was referred to as NT5 (following Windows NT 4.0). It was indeed an excellent operating system and it birthed XP. Good "genetic" makeup.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.