[SOLVED] Droping packets when limited downloading (game lagging)

Jul 18, 2021
Hello guys,

I have a problem. I have two gaming PC's in my home. When I start downloading something on my first computer (I limited my download speed to 10 - 15 MB/s - from my ISP I have 35 MB/s speed) then on other computer the online games starts lagging really bad.
And when pinging I have like 20% packet loss.

Why is that if I am using only like 60-65 % of my speed and the remaining 15 MB/s should be enough for gaming and everything else.

My router is Asus TUF-AX5400.

Where can be the root cause of these big amount of packet loss when using my download speed from 50-60%?

Solution
If your connection was faster then running the QoS on the router will max the CPU and cap the rate at about 250-300mbps. You likely are running very high cpu on the router but it most likely is still ok.

You are better off limiting the speed on the pc doing the download. Best is to use the tools in the download program itself but things like netlimiter are a good second choice.

What you are attempting to do is the correct method. You want to limit it below what you really want the limit to be. The way it calculates the rates is a average and sometime you get bursts of packets.

What I would do it first watch the resource monitor network tab and see if you can tell what the actual download rate is on the pc. Be careful some...

Lutfij

Titan
Check to see if your router has any firmware updates pending. As for the PC's tethered to the www, are the connected via WiFi or Ethernet? Are both system's identical in specs? You might want to see if you can set the QoS for both machines within router's GUI. As for your games, what titles are you experiencing the issue with? Might want to tinker and see if reducing the other system's download limit changes anything on the second system.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello guys,

I have a problem. I have two gaming PC's in my home. When I start downloading something on my first computer (I limited my download speed to 10 - 15 MB/s - from my ISP I have 35 MB/s speed) then on other computer the online games starts lagging really bad.
And when pinging I have like 20% packet loss.

Why is that if I am using only like 60-65 % of my speed and the remaining 15 MB/s should be enough for gaming and everything else.

My router is Asus TUF-AX5400.

Where can be the root cause of these big amount of packet loss when using my download speed from 50-60%?
Is your ISP speed 35Mbit or 35Mbyte (300Mbit) ? You used MB in your post which is Mbyte. ISP speed is typically megabit (Mb).
What is your upload speed ?

Jul 18, 2021
Router has latest firmware ofcourse. Both PC are connected via ethernet cable 6E. On the second computer (also 10700KF, 32GB RAM) is server for me and my friends. And when I am downloading they started to lagging also very much (I think it is because of that big amount of packet losing).

Connection from my ISP is 250-300 Mbps - it is like 30-35 in MB/s (both ways). And I am limiting (tried router QOS, or Netlimiter software) my download speed on my main gaming PC for the second PC (so my brother can play without lags or my friends on the little server). But everything is not usable because of that packet loss.

If your connection was faster then running the QoS on the router will max the CPU and cap the rate at about 250-300mbps. You likely are running very high cpu on the router but it most likely is still ok.

You are better off limiting the speed on the pc doing the download. Best is to use the tools in the download program itself but things like netlimiter are a good second choice.

What you are attempting to do is the correct method. You want to limit it below what you really want the limit to be. The way it calculates the rates is a average and sometime you get bursts of packets.

What I would do it first watch the resource monitor network tab and see if you can tell what the actual download rate is on the pc. Be careful some things are Mbytes and other Mbits on that screen. You can also use wireshark and capture a download, you only really need to capture the first part of the packet not the actual data. Wireshark can generate very good reports that show usage over time including spikes.

Maybe your router shows the utilization also.

The other possibility is that you are getting errors on your internet connection. As the traffic increases you get more errors and it could just be not real obvious at lower rates.

Note I will assume you are ping something on the internet if you get loss when you ping your router that is likely something different.

Reactions: Bazim
Solution
Jul 18, 2021
Ye I have tried the routers QOS and then only NetLimiter my PC. Same. Using 50-60% of download speed I started to losing 20 sometimes even 30% of packets. And I was pinging google.com.

I will at the Wireshark thing, but I really don't know that software.

Router is showing utilization. But nothing more than 30% on core 1. Core 2 and 3 are under 20%.

You would only use wireshark if you think you can not trust the rates.

This looks more and more like a problem with your internet connection. Run tracert and get the IP of the first ISP router. Most times it is hop 2.

What you want to do is open a bunch of cmd windows and run ping to hop 1 and hop 2 as well as google. This is to show the ISP that you get no loss to your router but you see loss to their router and google. If you only do google they will blame google.

You also want to show the screen on the router that shows you are not using the full 300mbps you buy from the ISP.

Note depending on the connection type many times the modem will show packet loss/error packet. This is a much better indicator of a issue with the line coming to your house if it is happening.

Jul 18, 2021
Yes I think Wireshark does not help me here. How shouold I do the tracert please? What shouold I put in that command?

EDIT // I use tracert to my router IP with -h 5

And there is My router IP, some next IP, and some another IP (I guess that are the ISPs routers?)

EDIT 2 // I just started pinging everything and do a quick download (some game update on Steam). Till download there was no packet loss. Is it saying something?
Qp6Aj.png

Last edited:
This is strange.

You generally not see packet loss on hop 1. This tends to be a ethernet cable problem when it does happen. You have a gigabit of bandwidth so you would overload the internet well before the cable.

The second things that is strange are the IP addresses. It is very uncommon for home users to use 10.x.x.x ip addresses. In addition both hop 1 and hop 2 are 1ms. With times this small both these boxes almost have to be inside your house. Generally even on a fiber you will see 3ms to the ISP office.

If you have QoS on in the router maybe turn it off and let it overload the internet maybe the CPU is overloaded doing the QoS and not responding to the local ping. Doing this you expect to see some packet loss on the ISP link because it is maxed out but you should not see loss to the router.

Jul 18, 2021
I was not pinging my router. I was ping HOP1,HOP2 something before my router I guess (I think some ISP's routers in our building). QoS was and is disabled for now. And yes I have fiber internet. And my ISP have some "server room" in our building in the basement too what I know. And from there are connected other people (but connection is not shared ofc).

Jul 18, 2021
Oh Sorry. Missunderstand. I did not include my router as I the HOP thing. So I just include the other IPs so in the picture it is like HOP1 = HOP2 and HOP2 = HOP3. Then HOP1 is really my router (not included in the screenshot).

Just be more clear when you talk to the ISP.

You want to show them you have no loss to your router but you see loss to their router.

The will have to get into their equipment and see if there are any errors.

The loss is past anything you have control over and when it is fiber there is not even bad inside cabling since the ISP is responsible for all the fiber.