Dropped 1TB seagate external hard drive. Now it is asking me to format. Help!

Sangi92

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
I dropped my 1TB seagate external hard drive. Now it is asking me to format it everytime i plug it in my system.Are all of my files gone?Can the datas be recovered anyway??

Solution

Even though you can't open it and "format" pop ups, it will most...
Hello... There are professional recovery companies, what is your price range? they basically take the drive apart and build the platters back into another unit.
Lesson learned here, is to make multi data backups on important data or your personal Work history can be lost in a matter of seconds.
Does the computer show any Data on it at all? and what does it describe the existing format as? is it still spinning? there is Software than can recover some of the DATA, if the format has changed.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I would first try "getdataback" from runtimesoftware. You can try to see if that software can work on it or not. I had a WD 1TB Passport that just stopped being recognized, and everytime I plug it in, it was asking if I want to initialize the disk. I used "getdataback for ntfs" and restored maybe 2/3 of the data.

Sangi92

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013

No, m not able to open it so it is not showing any data..just asking to format the drive...And yes it is still spinning.
which software should i use to recover the data??

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

Even though you can't open it and "format" pop ups, it will most likely appear in the recovery option if you try the software (getdataback) I mentioned.

Solution