[SOLVED] Dropped CPU then straigtened bent pins, system turning on but not posting, HELP!

Jul 13, 2020
Hi all just signed up here after having quite a time building my first PC. Was wondering if I could you folks' help, would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the PC parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FXxsGc

Events until now, and current situation:
As I was unpacking the CPU, I managed to somehow drop it on the floor. This bent pins and long story short - today, I straightened the pins without breaking any and managed to finally sink the CPU into the socket with very slight pressure. Until then it wouldn't go in at all. I had to keep fine tuning the alignment of the pins. Maybe I should have continued to straighten it out even more. Even very minute misalignments were creating resistance from it sinking into the socket and fitting snuggly. None of the pins were broken btw.

So after it gets in with a bit of pressure - I tested the barebones setup outside the case --I jump the power pins and the CPU fan turns on, but the GPU's fans don't turn on, and nothing posts--the monitor doesn't pick up any signal from the GPU. The DRAM orange light turns on instantly and stays on. Even upon restarting.

-I've checked off all the things to be done in the thread at the top of this forum for "not posting" including trying a single stick of RAM in all slots. Also clearing the CMOS by jumping the pins.
-Checked and re-checked PSU wires connected to the Mobo, CPU and GPU.

Do you think damage to the CPU is causing this?
What else should I try?
I ordered a new CPU which will get here on Thursday- I plan to try that and see if it works. But if possible I'd like for this CPU to work because it's outside the return period and I would prefer not to spend the extra money. Should I continue straightening out the pins and see if it works? Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I am happy to report that after a bit more of the slightest straightening of the CPU pins, the GPU started up, and I went into BIOS. Now just figuring out windows installation.

Lesson is that CPU pins need to be absolutely aligned!
Jul 13, 2020
I am happy to report that after a bit more of the slightest straightening of the CPU pins, the GPU started up, and I went into BIOS. Now just figuring out windows installation.

Lesson is that CPU pins need to be absolutely aligned!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS