Dropped external hard drive..

Cordell

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Hello,
My external hard drive hit the floor from the top of my desk, now its making a funny noise like the disk isn't turning properly.. and there is a red light instead of a blue light when I turned it on. Is there a way I can transfer the files on this hard drive to another?

does windows recognize the drive when it is connected? its worth trying to see if you can transfer the files off in this way. i'd see how much the drive is responding to you, hopefully you can still transfer files off before it dies. there are recovery software suites available but i don't think they will work in case of mechanical failure.

if you damaged the r/w heads inside or threw things out of alignment you might not be able to read the data. i'm sure there is an option out there to get the heads fixed and to transfer data off but unless you're talking about some very important data the price isn't worth it.

two suggestions for the future:

-back up all of your data in multiple sources

-invest in an external hard drive equipped with a rubber shell. i think lacie made one that they proved could survive quite a fall and still work. hard drives can be quite fragile if bumped in the wrong way.

hddlab

Distinguished
May 24, 2007
Check your drive, did it sound like click.click.click...? If yes that mean your drive have head damage, that's common trouble when we drop HDD. In that case, we must be replace the head for recovery data and it take so high price.

TRENDING THREADS