[SOLVED] Dropped external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir_52

Prominent
Aug 8, 2017
I accidently dropped my WD My Passport Ultra 2 TB. When I connected it to the computer it gave out a long and short beep for a few times before it stop.Windows made a sound as it connect but no drive partition is shown in my computer only in device manager it is shown before being disconnected and the LED is still being lit up.
Can't even hear the sound of the disk spinning. So can anyone tell me what went wrong with the HDD.

Solution
How far did it fall?

Sounds like you shocked the drive. External enclosures are a little more robust, but the internals are still a basic HDD that's susceptible to shock damage.

If the drive is not spinning up at all, chances are good the drive is damaged.

You could dismantle the enclosure, remove the HDD and connect it to a system directly with a SATA cable - maybe the enclosures interface/PCB got damaged somehow .... but, that's really unlikely. The likely component to get damaged during a fall, is the drive itself.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How far did it fall?

Sounds like you shocked the drive. External enclosures are a little more robust, but the internals are still a basic HDD that's susceptible to shock damage.

If the drive is not spinning up at all, chances are good the drive is damaged.

You could dismantle the enclosure, remove the HDD and connect it to a system directly with a SATA cable - maybe the enclosures interface/PCB got damaged somehow .... but, that's really unlikely. The likely component to get damaged during a fall, is the drive itself.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.