Dropped laptop and now getting an error message

Ermoore

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I dropped my laptop and I am now getting a "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" is there anyway I can recover and get all of my data and files (like papers and photos). I don't care about the computer anymore. Just want my stuff.

Solution

That is why I, and may people reading this, have another backup. Especially if the main machine is a laptop.
Drop, theft, loss....poof...your stuff is gone.

What can you do now? Find a trusted, competent friend, remove the hard drive, Connect it to another machine.
Save off your critical data if possible.
Then you can move on to maybe fixing that laptop.

Which is more important? Your 5643 papers, or a replacement laptop for $350? Or a used one for $50?

Ermoore

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Oh my goodness. What are my chances of saving all of my stuff without going broke? I backed up my stuff last year but I'm in college and have written 5643 more papers since then that I need.

USAFRet

Titan

That is why I, and may people reading this, have another backup. Especially if the main machine is a laptop.
Drop, theft, loss....poof...your stuff is gone.

What can you do now? Find a trusted, competent friend, remove the hard drive, Connect it to another machine.
Save off your critical data if possible.
Then you can move on to maybe fixing that laptop.

Which is more important? Your 5643 papers, or a replacement laptop for $350? Or a used one for $50?

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Yep, get the drive out, and when you get to it, check the connections, see what kind it is, if it's a platter drive, the type that has spiining disks in it, might even try tapping it with a spoon or somthing, quite often the drive head will 'stick' if dropped, a tap can often free up the head, then try it, if it spins up get your data backed up then run CHKDSK /R on it

Ermoore

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thank you sooooo much! I really need my papers and schoolwork to compose an eportfolio I need to graduate. Guess I will find out my destiny in the morning!

Thank you again for the help!!!