Dropped laptop - strange display

honkytonka

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hi!

My brother accidentally threw my laptop on the ground (about 5 feet) the other day. It was running when it hit the ground and when I picked it up immediately after. Then my silly husband took my power cord (to power his own laptop) and the battery died and when I powered it up again it said something about inserting a boot drive. Husband took laptop in to the computer store and a new hard drive was installed. The old hard drive has recoverable data (apparently) so I have one of those 'make it an external' contraptions for it. My husband had made me recovery cds thankfully, but once they were all installed and my computer started up, the display looks strange (as if it is stretched horizontally or in safe mode or something...) How do I figure out what is wrong or how I can get my display back to normal?
Many thanks!

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Your system may be a) missing the display driver, or b) set to the wrong resolution

1) Try updating the driver for the graphics card (check device manager by right clicking on My Computer, going to Manage, and clicking Device Manager). Check and see if there is a yellow question mark under "Display Adapter." If it's yellow, you can go to the computer's website and get a driver for the display adapter.

2) Check your resolution by right clicking on your desktop (depending on your OS, it's either going to be properties or right clicking and going to screen resolution (windows 7). Vista requires right clicking, going to personalization, and then display settings. Try maxing out the resolution if it's not.