[SOLVED] Dropped my setup.. What to do?

Jan 25, 2021
Dropped my pc a week ago, and understandably, its been acting strange.
Everything seems to be running slower, and I'm desperately trying to pinpoint what exactly to repair/replace.

- The CPU was running much slower, but after reassembling around it, its gotten better. Still not as good as before unfortunately.
- The GPU is running at 100% capacity where before it used to run at 70-80%. After reassembling and cleaning it, there's no change. Its still bad.
- RAM and SSD is performing below/way below expected according to various UserBenchmark tests.

I have a feeling that the Motherboard might've taken the brunt of the fall (Since everything is underperforming). But I have absolutely no idea of finding out how.
What kind of "Troubleshooting" can I do on my own?

Specs: Intel Core i7-8700K Processor
Gainward GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
ASUS ROG Strix B360-F Gaming, S-1151
HyperX Fury RGB DDR4 3600MHz 16GB
Corsair Force Series MP600 2TB M.2 SSD
Kingston A1000 480GB M.2 SSD
Corsair Hydro H100i PRO RGB CPU COOLER
Corsair HX1200, 1200W PSU

Solution
Personally if I encouter this problem. I would fully dissassemble the entire rig. Check for damages. And reassemble the whole thing as if it were a new rig. And just start from there.
Hardly any,since if you dropped it it cant really loose any performance,it can either work or not work.
What are the temps of the GPU and CPU?
The only thing i can think of is that when you dropped it the thermal paste on either the cpu or the gpu moved a bit,or the cooler dropped out of the place,so it thermal throttles.

Jan 25, 2021
Hardly any,since if you dropped it it cant really loose any performance,it can either work or not work.
What are the temps of the GPU and CPU?
The only thing i can think of is that when you dropped it the thermal paste on either the cpu or the gpu moved a bit,or the cooler dropped out of the place,so it thermal throttles.
While idle:
CPU around 30 Celsius
GPU around 40

During a stresstest:
CPU 60-62
GPU 67

The PC was turned on when it fell, and it froze on the current frame.
Had to hard reboot.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Jan 25, 2021
Not really,temps are cool
I checked every cable, and actually unplugged some SATA cables I wasn't using. Nothing seems to have helped.
Ran som more tests today, and the CPU can pull much less stress still. The GPU is also still underperforming.

I find it extremely confusing, how everything turned to doodoo right after the drop.
Cause as you said, the pc should either be working or not be working after such an accident.. Yet it works, just slower.
Could it not be a damaged Motherboard?

I checked every cable, and actually unplugged some SATA cables I wasn't using. Nothing seems to have helped.
Ran som more tests today, and the CPU can pull much less stress still. The GPU is also still underperforming.

I find it extremely confusing, how everything turned to doodoo right after the drop.
Cause as you said, the pc should either be working or not be working after such an accident.. Yet it works, just slower.
Could it not be a damaged Motherboard?
I cant think of anything on the motherboard that can slow the pc down.A motherboard is a complex component,also really sensitive,so again if it works it will work to its 100%,if it doesnt it doesnt.
This is really weird.

Reactions: RamSnatcher
Jan 25, 2021
I cant think of anything on the motherboard that can slow the pc down.A motherboard is a complex component,also really sensitive,so again if it works it will work to its 100%,if it doesnt it doesnt.
This is really weird.
Sure got me scratching my head.. I guess I'll be looking into new parts.
Thanks for the help man(y)