DROPPED SCREW on MOBO

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
So I was wondering if I broke my motherboard or if I can sauder or however you spell it a new capacitor or whatever this maybe back on to my mother hard... I dropped the screw that's in the picture in that little crack and I'm wondering if it messed something up or shorted out the board when I did it you tell me
7kuqk98

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I was talking about the area to the top right with the two capacitors I believe and that's what I thought to because I work on laptop for a living and I doubt it did anything I was just wanting to know your guys thoughts on it

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

Well I'm pretty sure I'm not so because the laptop won't turn on at all and it was working just fine before that so

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
But that's the thing I had the laptop out in my car for a few days in the cold but in a bag inside another bag and I'm wondering if it being in the cold did anything to it or me dropping the screw I dropped power washing it and everything and it still won't work

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I was disassembling the computer to take the drive out so I could copy something to my laptop to my PC long story short had a big file I needed on my pc

Was the computer on after the screw went in there? Or did you take the screw out right away? Better to have gotten it out first, because turning the computer on while the screw is there can cause a short circuit and damage components. Theoretically, even if you never turned it on the screw could still damage a component or even clear your BIOS settings if it just happened to make contact with the RTC battery directly or through a circuit board trace linked to it and bridge it to something else.

USAFRet

Titan

1. Moving data is what a LAN and shared drives is for.

2. Sounds like the disassembly and reassembly got something inside disconnected.

Is the screw still in there?
A tiny laptop screw wouldn't break anything just by dropping it on the board.
But if it is still inthere, something may have shorted out.

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017

I didn't turn it on till after it happened because I went to boot it up like everything was normal I can check the cmos battery when I get home I let it sit to get to room temp overnight but thanks for the advice I didn't think a trace could go that far on a board

Astrix-

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
No the screw was taken out fast as possible I tried not to move it around on the board but you never know and no It was just a laptop for regular use I have a PC and yes I'm that's what shared drives are for and everything but I just moved and don't have internet and I didn't have my external drive with me atm I am a computer guy so I know how all of this works I do everything for a reason I take computer classes at my school and I understand how windows and such works with sharing software