[SOLVED] Dropping frames

giantjets

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
I have an issue where I play certain games (the division 2 and now most recent gunfire reborn) my frames are dropping/stuttering when I play with other people. When I play the games solo I have no issue what’s so ever. As soon as a I join a game with friends then the FPS will drop from 120 to 30 to 90 to 30 etc etc. I was wondering if it is my build or is it something to do with the game.

my current setup is
I7-4790k
GTX 1080
16gb Ram
Windows 10

if you need more information I will be more than happy to tell you.

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your PSU and it's age? Might want to see if your motherboard is on the latest BIOS update. Make sure you're on the latest OS version as well, since we're on version 2004. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and then reinstall them with the latest found off of Nvidia's support site.

giantjets

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
I have been having a problem with certain games. The division 2 and gunfire reborn. When I play the solo I have no problems avg above 90 FPS. When I play with friends the game stutters it will go from 120 to 30 back to 90 for a min then drop right back down. What can I fix? Is it game issues or system issues? Should I try to over clock my CPU/GPU?

My system
I7 4790k
1080 gtx
16gb Corsair
SSD Evo

any help would be appreciated

giantjets

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
My PSU is about 5+ years old. I forgot the model (currently not at home) but it was at least 60w over what the card needs. I ran ddu wipeout the drive and stil nothing changed. For the bios I do not have a thumb drive to update the bios. My bios was from 2015 and the new update is for 2018.

giantjets

Reputable
Mar 25, 2017
Update: I updated bios, erased drives and still having the same issue. I looked online at pc build bottleneck and they said my processor (i7-470k) is not strong enough to run games at 1080p for my current gpu (1080 gtx). Is this true or is there something else you guys can suggest I mess with.

Since it seems to happen when you play multiplayer the game just might "wait" for the information from those other players. It could be one of these odd instances where the network connection impacts performance.
What you could check is if the same happens in the same area of the game with them and without them. Or even have them just standing around doing nothing, just to exclude the possibility.

Don't listen to bottleneck calculators, they are rather theoretical and usually don't take into account different settings or specific games. What they basically try to tell you is that with a stronger CPU than a 4790K the 1080 could get better performance.
According to the Ubisoft store page for Division 2 your CPU fills the "Recommended - 1080p | 60 fps" bracket.
Gunfire Reborn has even less requirements. So you should be fine. You could use the "unused" power of the card to just run the game at higher settings, get more eye candy.