[SOLVED] DRR2 OR DDR3 SLOTS??

Brakakevi

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
I am putting together a budget build and am stuck on which motherboard to buy RAM slot wise. I have settled on a 4x2 DDR3 combo but I wm concerned about the motherboard. This one I found really cheap for on AliExpress and I am a bit confused on the Ram slots (imgur.com/a/upWGqVi) . Will it support the combo listed above meaning 4 DDR3 or is is split 2 DDR2s and 2 D3s? I checked the manual on asus.com but their statement is kinda vague:
"The motherboard supports DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz or DDR2 memory 1066/800/667 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The dual-channel DDR3/DDR2 architecture doubles the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance, eliminating bottlenecks with peak bandwidths of up to 19.2 GB/s."
Thanks for helping

Solution
You cant use 4x2gb ddr3.

You can use 2 sticks of ddr3 at once OR 2 sticks of ddr2 at once. You cant use both at the same time.

That motherboard has 2 slots for ddr3 and 2 slots for ddr2. You can't mix ddr2 and ddr3, so you can only use 2 sticks at once.
You cant use 4x2gb ddr3.

You can use 2 sticks of ddr3 at once OR 2 sticks of ddr2 at once. You cant use both at the same time.

That motherboard has 2 slots for ddr3 and 2 slots for ddr2. You can't mix ddr2 and ddr3, so you can only use 2 sticks at once.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakakevi
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I am putting together a budget build and am stuck on which motherboard to buy RAM slot wise. I have settled on a 4x2 DDR3 combo but I wm concerned about the motherboard. This one I found really cheap for on AliExpress and I am a bit confused on the Ram slots (imgur.com/a/upWGqVi) . Will it support the combo listed above meaning 4 DDR3 or is is split 2 DDR2s and 2 D3s? I checked the manual on asus.com but their statement is kinda vague:
"The motherboard supports DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz or DDR2 memory 1066/800/667 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The dual-channel DDR3/DDR2 architecture doubles the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance, eliminating bottlenecks with peak bandwidths of up to 19.2 GB/s."
Thanks for helping

Black slots are DDR3 and blue slots are DDR2.

You can populate and use either DDR3 or DDR2 slots at the same time. They won't work together. The manual certainly mentions that somewhere if you look more closely.

EDIT: I was typing and didn't notice @remixislandmusic posted otherwise I wouldn't post. He said it all.