[SOLVED] Drunken purchase. Please help.

Jan 26, 2020
  • Hello all.
    Had few drinks friday night and my eldest daughter says she wants a PC.. few JDs thinking I have assembled computers 20 years ago so sod it I will make her one lol..

Now for the drunken buy.. I bought this for 70 pounds.....MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 Graphics Card

Now all she wants to play is simulator games like planet zoo.

What motherboard is best for this card and will I be better getting the 500w power supply and will the AMD A10 be fine for this please

Thanks all... time to lock away my JD lol
She likes the look of the following
Fortnite
Roblox
Planet zoo
Planet coaster

Games like this. I have won and paid for the Graphics card.. only fair as I bid

So I need to use this within the build..

I have keyboard and mouse... need monitor or can i use a TV via HDMI?

Will be buying second hand and budget will be 350 ish

Solution
Nah. That whole listing is full of deceit and lies.

A GT710 is literally marketed as nvidia for office tasks, and they are selling it out to be the best GPU ever that can run gtav at medium 60fps. Completely lying.
Wouldn't use that. That i7 is pretty old.

Could pick up something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opt...791483&hash=item4b731ff30f:g:zXkAAOSw1adeJtVY

Would recommend to replace the power supply with something better though. The only other thing I can see is that some of those Dell systems use a propietary motherboard cable. But you can get adapters.

That said, that looks very much like the one I put into my wife's home office. I had replaced the power supply and hers was a standard ATX.

Reactions: ARB74
Jan 26, 2020
Wouldn't use that. That i7 is pretty old.

Could pick up something like this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Opt...791483&hash=item4b731ff30f:g:zXkAAOSw1adeJtVY

Would recommend to replace the power supply with something better though. The only other thing I can see is that some of those Dell systems use a propietary motherboard cable. But you can get adapters.

That said, that looks very much like the one I put into my wife's home office. I had replaced the power supply and hers was a standard ATX.
Thank you, I would change the tower unit for new..

Seen this what's your thoughts and thanks for all your help

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/254391890138

Jan 26, 2020
All been offered this set up not 100% sure of price... but I will be using the graphics card i have already purchased

Ok. Well I have the following three combinations:

Intel core i5 4690k quad core 3.8ghz processor with a nice gigabyte z97x gaming motherboard.

AMD FX 8350 8 core unlocked 4ghz processor (liquid cooled) with an Asrock 990fx killer gaming motherboard.

AMD Athlon 760k 3.8ghz quad core processor with an asrock gaming motherboard (uncertain about exact model) the only issue is it's missing the backplate of the motherboard. All have 16gb ram but I can take some out if you wanted to cut the price.
The power supplies in them are all reputable and good quality but I'll make sure it has the right power and connections for your graphics card.

What one would you go for please

Remeca

Reputable
The i5 system would be plenty with what she plays. I wouldn't buy a used system with water cooling though. If you're buying a pre-built like that dell posted earlier, you may have trouble moving it to a new case. The PSU it uses is standard so you won't need need an adapter to replace it, but the front panel connectors are proprietary and would have to just sit inside a new case. I wouldn't go for the 7010 anyway though, it looks like the sata ports and ram slots would be in the way of the GPU, and you'd probably have to remove the drive cage even if the cables weren't in the way.

Jan 26, 2020
hi thanks for the replies guys, he has offered me the Intel core i5 4690k quad core 3.8ghz processor with a nice gigabyte z97x gaming motherboard. for 220 all built with tower unit with 3 month warranty.

do you think this is a good price?

thank you all

My thoughts:

Rule out any pre Ryzen AMD CPUs. Really you won't get the performance you will want.

The 8 core FX system is alright, but no upgrade path so i cannot recommend it. The athlon system is obsolete aswell.
The I5 system is pretty good and will hold up well with the RX570, however I would suggest talking them down on the price a lot.

If they wont negotiate a lot, I really would try to get an older but not ancient I7 2600/3770 system on ebay like the one linked above.

For a drunken purchase, you did pretty well. 70 pounds is pretty good for an RX570, which is very capable.

Micro ATX and full sized atx refers to the motherboard size. Micro atx motherboards are smaller than full atx and usually have less ports.

When looking at cases, atx cases are large enough to support full atx and smaller micro atx boards. Micro atx cases only support micro atx boards and are pretty small.

This is ignoring the even smaller mini itx standard.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor | $119.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $67.98 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $62.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $250.96
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-26 11:39 EST-0500 |

You can go for some new hardware and throw it into the old A10 system. A Ryzen 5 2600 is better than most I5s and older I7s. You also get modern features like NVME support.

Edit. If cost is too high:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Processor | $59.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard | ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard | $59.99 @ Amazon
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $62.99 @ Amazon
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | $181.98
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-26 11:47 EST-0500 |

The Ryzen 3 1200 performs roughly around an older 3rd or 4th gen I5 quad core, although the Ryzen 3 1200 can be overclocked to superior performance even on the stock cooler.

Last edited: