[SOLVED] Drunken purchase. Please help.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 26, 2020
  • Hello all.
    Had few drinks friday night and my eldest daughter says she wants a PC.. few JDs thinking I have assembled computers 20 years ago so sod it I will make her one lol..

Now for the drunken buy.. I bought this for 70 pounds.....MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 Graphics Card

Now all she wants to play is simulator games like planet zoo.

What motherboard is best for this card and will I be better getting the 500w power supply and will the AMD A10 be fine for this please

Thanks all... time to lock away my JD lol
She likes the look of the following
Fortnite
Roblox
Planet zoo
Planet coaster

Games like this. I have won and paid for the Graphics card.. only fair as I bid

So I need to use this within the build..

I have keyboard and mouse... need monitor or can i use a TV via HDMI?

Will be buying second hand and budget will be 350 ish

Solution
Nah. That whole listing is full of deceit and lies.

A GT710 is literally marketed as nvidia for office tasks, and they are selling it out to be the best GPU ever that can run gtav at medium 60fps. Completely lying.
Nah. That whole listing is full of deceit and lies.
Yeah, the listing is kind of light on details. I don't believe they even list which i5 it is aside from being "3.1GHz", though I would assume it is an older one like an i5-2400. That would technically be usable, but it's not as fast as even a Ryzen 2200G, like in the new build listed earlier.

Also, while you would be replacing the GPU with an RX 570, seeing as they only have an ultra-low-end GT 710 in there, I suspect the power supply is likely an extremely low-end model that might not be able to handle an RX 570.

Plus, while there's technically a monitor included with that system, it's probably the same "Cheap 19" LCD TFT PC Movie Gaming CCTV VGA Monitor" that seller is selling for just £21.95, which again they don't list any details for, but "VGA" implies it's an older model that won't work with newer graphics cards like an RX 580 unless you were to also buy a powered adapter, and I suspect it may be very low resolution.

On that topic, do you need a monitor for the system included in that budget? Actually, what components exactly would be needed for the system? You mentioned buying an RX 570, but do you have any other components or an existing system you could build off of?

Yeah, the listing is kind of light on details. I don't believe they even list which i5 it is aside from being "3.1GHz", though I would assume it is an older one like an i5-2400. That would technically be usable, but it's not as fast as even a Ryzen 2200G, like in the new build listed earlier.
If you dig enough it is indeed an I5 2400. Not very good, but not horrible. Probably an upgrade from his current A10, but still a mid range CPU from 9 years ago.

Oh, I notice now the first post mentions...
You should be able to hook the system up to a television via HDMI, so long as there is an available HDMI port on the TV, so that you don't need to keep unplugging something else. It might also be worth considering where the television is located though, as it might be a bit awkward to use a keyboard and mouse for gaming in a typical living-room type setting, where furniture typically isn't arranged well for that.

Jan 24, 2020
  • Hello all.
    Had few drinks friday night and my eldest daughter says she wants a PC.. few JDs thinking I have assembled computers 20 years ago so sod it I will make her one lol..

Now for the drunken buy.. I bought this for 70 pounds.....MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC GDDR5 Graphics Card

Now all she wants to play is simulator games like planet zoo.

What motherboard is best for this card and will I be better getting the 500w power supply and will the AMD A10 be fine for this please

Thanks all... time to lock away my JD lol
She likes the look of the following
Fortnite
Roblox
Planet zoo
Planet coaster

Games like this. I have won and paid for the Graphics card.. only fair as I bid

So I need to use this within the build..

Will be buying second hand and budget will be 350 ish
I would recommend you get a different cpu I've had a AMD a10 9700 it always bottlenecked my gpu and if when I used it to play games such as fortnite it went up to 100% cpu usage so I would get somthing different maybe somthing from the ryzen 5 those processors are definitely better than the one you are looking forward to getting and when it comes to motherboard I would recommend msi b450m gaming plus micro atx and 8gb ram

Another option than the Ryzen 1200 if buying new would be to go with a Ryzen 1600, which can be had for as little as $85 now, which is only around $25 more than the 1200, while offering slightly higher performance per core, and 6-cores with 12-threads, rather than just 4-cores with 4-threads. Those extra cores and threads probably won't be particularly relevant for the games listed, but could help performance in the future should she want to run more demanding games a few years down the line...

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Stealth-YD1600BBAFBOX/dp/B07XTQZJ28

If you really want to keep the costs down though, the 1200 would likely be a fine option, and would perform a little better than most of these older i5s. Those older i5/17 systems might be a good option too though, if you can find one priced notably lower than what an upgrade using new components would cost.