Question Dryed thernal paste stuck in cpu am4 socket

billymichael1999

Commendable
Nov 27, 2017
I was replaceing my ryzen cpu with a more powerful cpu i got thermal paste stuck in the middle of the cpu socket whare the small amount of chips are i cant get the paste out because its squished in between the small chips

it would be the paste thats from the thermal pad that came with the ryzen 3 1200 cooler
Me personally...I'd leave it there vs. risking any damage to the MLCC's in that tight spot.

I can't believe AMD would allow use of conductive paste on consumer-market coolers. And any dielectric property difference compared to the warm air normally in that space would be insignificant to the DC voltages those MLCC's are filtering.

I'm reminded of the YouTube Video posted by The Verge on building a PC. The guy absolutely munged the TIM all over the CPU till it had to have made a total mess under and around it... yet that PC still performed once he was done. Amazing.

I'd just leave it.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Me personally...I'd leave it there vs. risking any damage to the MLCC's in that tight spot.

I can't believe AMD would allow use of conductive paste on consumer-market coolers. And any dielectric property difference compared to the warm air normally in that space would be insignificant to the DC voltages those MLCC's are filtering.
What does MLCC stand for?
Multi-Layer Chip Capacitor

Reactions: TJ Hooker