I have installed dsclient for win98 on a workstation. I installed it because
my users were loosing the ability to logon to the windows 2003 network with
active directory through the win98 machines. I must keep some of my machines
win98 because they interface with laboratory equipment which will not work
with later versions of windows. The workstation still will not allow me to
log on to the network, and it is locking my account out for the entire
network. I have windows98 second addition on this machine and explorer 6.0.
What am I doing wrong. Is there something which needs to be installed on the
domain controller.

In news:4C75FFFE-4CB2-421A-A853-2162879D5FC8@microsoft.com,
JoeElla <JoeElla@discussions.microsoft.com> made this post, which I then
commented about below:
> I have installed dsclient for win98 on a workstation. I installed it
> because my users were loosing the ability to logon to the windows
> 2003 network with active directory through the win98 machines. I
> must keep some of my machines win98 because they interface with
> laboratory equipment which will not work with later versions of
> windows. The workstation still will not allow me to log on to the
> network, and it is locking my account out for the entire network. I
> have windows98 second addition on this machine and explorer 6.0. What
> am I doing wrong. Is there something which needs to be installed on
> the domain controller.

Logging in from a legacy client uses NTLM authentication, which is NetBIOS
based. If across subnets, then we'll need to support NetBIOS name resolution
by using WINS. The DSClient does not facilitate authentication, but rather
the ability to search AD resources and participate in DFS, if you have it
enabled.

Also, if a legacy client (NT, Win9x, ME or DOS) is accessing a Windows 2003
AD, you will need to detune Windows 2003 AD security settings (not really
advised, but in your case you may have to). You must disable SMB Signing and
update the DSClient.The article below recommends NOT to disable SMB signing
and provides a work around.

555038 - How to enable Windows 98-ME-NT clients to logon to Windows 2003
based Domains:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555038

If that doesn't work, disable SMB Signing using this article:
811497 - Error Message When Windows 95 or Windows NT 4.0 Client Logs On to
Windows Server 2003 Domain: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811497

--
Regards,
Ace

If this post is viewed at a non-Microsoft community website, and you were to
respond to it through that community's website, I may not see your reply.
Therefore, please direct all replies ONLY to the Microsoft public newsgroup
this thread originated in so all can benefit.

confers no rights.

brewewa

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
I have a followup question to this related post. I too need to support legacy clients on my network (NT, 95), but a migration to Exchange Server 2007 from Exchange Server 2000 is forcing me to switch my domain to native mode. All that the legacy clients need is to be able to access network fileshares, or have others access fileshares on the legacy clients. Does this require acccess to AD resources? I'm wondering if installing the DSclient is all that I need to do for these legacy clients, and if I can install the DSclients before switch to native mode. Some of them control CNC equipment, and problems would affect productivity, and possibly my job security.