Ds4 burned why?

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I have a ATX-AS500W-BK aspire psu v1.2 34A. ı have been using this psu with various mobos and cpus. I bought a gigabyte ds4 bult it and I powered it on. İt was running but there was nothing the screen I tried several times and the last time I tried unfortunately there was a flame on the upside the cpu beneath the passive cooling system. And the power suppliers of the board burned. I RMA it and they said it was because of a power supply failure so it is out of warranty. I did not have any problems with my previous systems but they were all 4 pin except the ds4 (8 pin12v) why do u think it burned and what should ı DO?
i

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Sorry to hear about that buddy, kinda reassures my rule of always buying the power supply from the same place that I bought the system components from. That way you can just RMA the damn lot if you get a failure!!

mpilch has it about right, you're up wotsit creek without a paddle i'm afraid.

I'm a little surprised to hear of flames though! Most PSU's simply stop working, (read - ALL that i've ever encountered i.e i've never know one to pop, fry or flame...just stop!)...so maybe you shorted something out in assembly, dropped a screw or something?

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I don't think that my psu is dead just the motherboard since ı have no mobo now I can't which my components are alive. I ordered a p5b delue but ı am afarid that ill will be the same. ıt is hard to believe but it really burned. When ı looked at the back of the mobo I saw that the blue paint of the mobo had gone to white in a little area and somethinks were burned and became one. I think they are some of the power circuits. but ı wonder what caused this? any technical opininons? should ı go on to use thhe same psu?

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Well, I personally would go about some testing to prove that you are entitled (or not) to RMA the board. IF the PSU works in another circumstance, then it's not faulty, and as such they cant blame it on that.

Remove it from the case entirely (the PSU i mean) and plug it in to a wall socket on your kitchen table. Dont touch the case incase something is wrong but does it power up and the fans spin? If you have a voltmeter you can then check the voltage coming from the lines to the molex connectors, you should see around +5V across black to red and +12V across black to yellow. Check all of them.

This isnt a pure indicator as the PSU is no under load, only under load will it source current and this is the deciding factor, however, I'd be happy enough if it passes both checks above to try another mobo...but thats for you to weigh up the risks.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I can't do that because I can't remove the psu from the case.one of the screws can not be removed. but yes the fans are spininng.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>Don't think that my psu is dead

You *cannot* reuse the PSU. It's already killed a motherboard, it will do so again. That PSU is worthless now, you need to junk it.

Sorry!

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Ok then... Unplug all the connectors from everything in the system, find something that'll put a load on the system (an old HDD/ODD that you don't mind getting damaged [if it even goes that far]) and then ground the green wire on the mainboard connector to power the PSU on (basically, use a paper clip to connect the green wire to any black one). But as the others have said... DUDE! Get a good PSU!

Good luck with your RMA effort!

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
I have just bought a digital multimeter but I don't know how to use it. Do you know how I will measure the power supply outputs?

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
For those who are interested:
yesterday I built my new system. I bought an Asus p5b deluxe. Result:
psu is just working fine with the whole system. It seeems nothing was burned except the ds4. I measured the 12 and 5 volt outputs with digital multimeter and they are quiet good: 12.40 and 5.30 . So I still don't have an ideas why the god damn ds4 was burned? They say it is out of warranty because of a power supply failure. I don't know what to do. Do you think they can replace the burned power circuits on the board so ı can sell it? and why do yo think the ds4 burned?

stay away from gigabyte boards...

thanks

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
I checked the gigabyte web site and coulnd't find any warranty information. It sounds to me that you still have a case for a replacement since the power supply turned out to be functional on another board. On my ASUS board, they don't cover shorted traces or burn spots but that sounds fishy if the board is the problem - afraid I don't know about gigabytes policy.

If you did win your case with gigabyte, the best they would probably do is replace the board, and you've allready bought a replacement. It depends on how much effort you want to put into it.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Actually those voltages seem high to me. I'm used to seeing a "0" after the decimal point. (Sometimes a 1 but never higher).

I'm not sure that would cause a problem, but It should be regulating the power better than that.

survivor

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004
ı contacted the company that sold my mobo. If ı can't get a satistactory answer from them I will try everything I can do to get them paid. I am in turkey and this country doesn't have enough strict consumer laws.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Good to hear you gave another mobo a go survivor, I'm glad it worked out for you.

I still think you had something shorted out in your case, power supplies dont just fry everything in sight as a rule when they fail which is why I suggested you to do some testing.

Your voltages...well, with no load attached it's always a little false to read them and expect them to be spot on +5V and +12V. Those values arent anything to worry about, see what your BIOS says with the system running.

Hassle for an RMA and failing that try Gigabyte, you never know ;)