DSL Internet connection and wifi router

May 5, 2018
Because of where I live, I can only get DSL internet via standard phone line. I have arouter that connects directly to phone jack, and works good for part of house. Because the 2 phone jacks are at opposite ends of the hous (Ipresume) service at the other end of the house is spotty. With just DSL, I don't need a really high capacity router. What I do need is range. I have tried a device that plugs into an electricaloutlet to extend range, but it does not work well. Is there a router that I could buy that will give me the range I need without the data capacity, which I don't need. There are usually 3 (at most 5) devices trying to connect.

Solution
Your second phone jack at the other end does nothing, only the DSL modem/router (aka gateway) at one end is trying to deliver the signal for all devices, and as you note its effectiveness degrades with distance.

What type of environment are you in -- town home, apartment, etc.?

Can you run an Ethernet cable to add an access point at the other end?

What model powerline adapters did you try? The other decent ones are AV2-1000/1200 like THESE, although there is a new AV2-1000 model that has one normal adapter and the other end is a wireless access point that might be easier.

A wireless extender would be my last choice and it has to be placed where there is still a good signal.

Download a free wifi analyzer app for your...

kanewolf

Titan
An AC1900 router, like a Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68U might improve things, but the best answer is to move your router to the center of the house or to run an ethernet cable to the opposite end and add a second WIFI source.
WIFI routers all have the same maximum power output. Plus, having a router with more radiated power only gets signal one way. Your router still has to get signals from your devices. More power from the router doesn't change getting signal from your devices.

RealBeast

Titan
Your second phone jack at the other end does nothing, only the DSL modem/router (aka gateway) at one end is trying to deliver the signal for all devices, and as you note its effectiveness degrades with distance.

What type of environment are you in -- town home, apartment, etc.?

Can you run an Ethernet cable to add an access point at the other end?

What model powerline adapters did you try? The other decent ones are AV2-1000/1200 like THESE, although there is a new AV2-1000 model that has one normal adapter and the other end is a wireless access point that might be easier.

A wireless extender would be my last choice and it has to be placed where there is still a good signal.

Download a free wifi analyzer app for your phone and see what networks are around you.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan

Or have an ethernet cable pulled and add a WIFI source. That is really the BEST answer. Because you can then connect via a wired connection for any gaming devices.