DSL questions

snow

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

I am planning to go from 56k to DSL
and I am going with Verizon (rural area, only decent ioption right now).
They offer MSN Premium free as a web browser. My new computer will support
it, but the older one will support DSL but is a bit below the minimum
requirement for the MSN Premium processor speed. The old computer has 366
mhz, MSN says it requires 500 mhz. Anyways, I was wondering if I can just
use Windows Explorer on my older computer and MSN Premium on the newer
computer. I would be using a router
for DSL. Can I have seperate browsers on the same DSL service??
It seems like it would not matter as long as the computers support DSL.
One more question.....will a wireless router reach to the second floor. It
can't be more than 100 feet or so. I believe the router is rated at about
350 feet. But figure that is ideal conditions. Any info on this stuff
appreciated. I am calling Verizon tomorrow and taking the plunge to DSL.
Goodbye dialup.

Just going to DSL now? missed the boat by 2 years, at least

HAHAHAHHA

"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> I am planning to go from 56k to DSL
> and I am going with Verizon (rural area, only decent ioption right now).
> They offer MSN Premium free as a web browser. My new computer will support
> it, but the older one will support DSL but is a bit below the minimum
> requirement for the MSN Premium processor speed. The old computer has 366
> mhz, MSN says it requires 500 mhz. Anyways, I was wondering if I can just
> use Windows Explorer on my older computer and MSN Premium on the newer
> computer. I would be using a router
> for DSL. Can I have seperate browsers on the same DSL service??
> It seems like it would not matter as long as the computers support DSL.
> One more question.....will a wireless router reach to the second floor. It
> can't be more than 100 feet or so. I believe the router is rated at about
> 350 feet. But figure that is ideal conditions. Any info on this stuff
> appreciated. I am calling Verizon tomorrow and taking the plunge to DSL.
> Goodbye dialup.

Was that computer a 366 mHz? Is that a Commodore 64 dinosaur?

tight wadd

"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> I am planning to go from 56k to DSL
> and I am going with Verizon (rural area, only decent ioption right now).
> They offer MSN Premium free as a web browser. My new computer will support
> it, but the older one will support DSL but is a bit below the minimum
> requirement for the MSN Premium processor speed. The old computer has 366
> mhz, MSN says it requires 500 mhz. Anyways, I was wondering if I can just
> use Windows Explorer on my older computer and MSN Premium on the newer
> computer.

MSN Premium is a Content Provider, not an ISP: their proprietary software,
which goes on your PC, is why they want a 500MHz machine. Yes, you can use
_ANY_ browser on any of your PC's: MSN might want you to use IE, but you
don't have to unless you're visiting one of the MSN sites that is not
compatible with other browsers.

> I would be using a router
> for DSL. Can I have seperate browsers on the same DSL service??
> It seems like it would not matter as long as the computers support DSL.

It doesn't matter, and the computers _DO NOT_ have to support DSL! The only
thing DSL needs is a Point-To-Point-Over-Ethernet (PPPOE) connection between
your ADSL modem and the _FIRST_ device in your house. Your router will
handle PPPOE for you, and all the other computers, which connect to the
router, will be using TCP/IP. You do NOT need to install the PPPOE software
on every machine, and you don't need to put MSN on each one, either. As I
wrote earlier, Verizon makes you install PPPOE and other software on the
"install" machine, but you can remove all that or use a substitute machine
for the install. The Router will handle all the interface with the ADSL
modem; you just tell it your user id and password.

> One more question.....will a wireless router reach to the second floor. It
> can't be more than 100 feet or so. I believe the router is rated at about
> 350 feet. But figure that is ideal conditions.

There's no telling: it depends on the materials used to make your home, the
number of walls, the kind of carpet, and probably the phase of the moon.
You'll have to set it up and see.

>Any info on this stuff appreciated. I am calling Verizon tomorrow and
taking
> the plunge to DSL. Goodbye dialup.

I recommend that you trade up to the 802.11G router, instead of the 802.11B
model they're offering with the basic package. It's money well spent, both
for speed and security.

William
P.S. They'll send you about a half-dozen filters, to use on each phone in
your house. If your ADSL modem is near the telephone wire entrance, you can
just buy another RJ-11 block, and use a single filter for your entire house.
Of course, the ADSL modem has to be ahead of that filter.

--
William Warren
(Filter noise from my address for direct replies.)

"snow" <dlessard@powerlink.net> wrote in message
> One more question.....will a wireless router reach to the second floor. It
> can't be more than 100 feet or so.

Boy, you have high ceilings!

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

I'm a verizon dsl user and would suggest;
Don't install any Verizon supplied software. You dont need it.
You dont need MSN browser anywhere. You dont need it.
Let your router handle the dsl connection and be happy with the browsers
you've been using on dial up.

xray wrote:
> Of course, YMMV but that's my experience.

Yep, my mileage has varied. Running it mainly on a dual CPU P-III/700 SCSI
box with Win2K, and an HP AMD-64 laptop with XP Pro, and no problems.

--
Steve
Re-defeat Bush in 2004