DSL vs Fixed Wireless Connection for Gaming & Streaming

bjohn93

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019
I'm moving in a week or so, I'm switching from using HughesNet because of the data cap, latency issues, and other problems with satellite internet. I have two internet options at this new address, DSL (through BPS Telephone Company) and Fixed Wireless (through Hillbilly Wireless) I'm wondering which type of service would provide a more consistent connection for online gaming and streaming. I play online games such as Red Dead Online, GTA, NBA2K19, and a few others. I also watch a lot content on YouTube, and my girlfriend stays on Netflix and has online college classes she takes. BPS (DSL) is offering a plan of 25mbps download and 2-3mbps upload. Hillbilly Wireless (Fixed Wireless) is offering a 10mbps download and 2mbps upload. I'm just wondering which connection will benefit me the most and if the difference in download speeds will hamper anything, or if one offers a more reliable connection with lower latency for online gaming.

Thank You.

Definitely DSL. I've also found third party DNS can help lower latency. Try setting your router to use a custom DNS setting instead of your ISP. For instance U-Verse gets a big boost in response time using Google DNS Servers instead of AT&T. There are plenty of other free DNS servers. So try them out and see which get the lowest PING. Whenever you move.

bjohn93

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019

Yeah, from everything I've read it also seems to me that DSL is the more stable option to me. It seems like every time I find an article or forum though, everyone is saying that Fixed Wireless is better, but I just didn't see it.

bjohn93

Reputable
Jan 29, 2019

Yeah, I had to use a few different DNS settings when I was using HughesNet to even attempt getting online.