[SOLVED] DsmSvc Windows Service eating 10% CPU all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
It's always hovering around 9-10%. "Enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly."
Says its the Device Setup Manager. It doesn't sound like something that should be eating 10% of system resources at all times. Maybe I only need the service on when I install new hardware, is that correct? Could someone please let me know what the problem might be?

UPDATE: I am able to terminate the process permanently and enable it whenever I want. Is this the way to go?

Last edited:
Solution
you shouldn't do it that way, downloading dll files...

I been busy this week, so sorry for delay

this should replace dll if its a problem -
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under advanced startup, click restart now button
this restarts windows into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

is it still at 10%?

if its not, its likely a driver error.
Can you download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date. Upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

icyulkn

Reputable
BANNED
Mar 4, 2019
Can I ask for a DsmSvc DeviceSetupManager.dll from the latest version of Windows from someone here? I'll make a backup of course. I can then take ownership of the file. That
might work right?

Windows 10
10.0.19041. Build 19041
Version 2004

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
you shouldn't do it that way, downloading dll files...

I been busy this week, so sorry for delay

this should replace dll if its a problem -
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS