DSR and Multi-Monitor Issue

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
So this is how my PC Setup looks for the Video Signal
GTX 970 DVI to VGA Adapter --> 720p TV with VGA Cable

For audio
GTX 970 HDMI --> Onkyo Receiver

In essence Windows 10 thinks I have a second monitor (my audio receiver), which is obviously not a monitor but Windows registers it as one. DSR doesn't not work when both my "monitors" are being used, I don't know why, but if I disable my artificial "monitor" and enable the option to only show my video display then the audio stops working but DSR works. This only happened with the most recent updated driver and everything was working fine with the previous driver, I tried going back to the previous version Drivers but it didn't fix it, so now I'm on the most recent one again (355.98).

Solution

Well, there's your problem right there! Looks like your blurry images are caused by upscaling followed by downscaling. If you want to trick your system, you can try enabling screen scaling in Windows and outputting a 1080p signal to the receiver, though your mileage will vary with that method.

If you have a TV with HDMI ARC, then you might be able to plug the computer straight into the TV and use ARC to feed the receiver, but that's outside my area of expertise.

Other than that, you should check...
HDMI doesn't work without video output, since the audio channel is linked to the video clock, and your graphics card supports DSR on single monitor setups only (perhaps two in clone mode, but I've never tried that). Just route everything though HDMI and it'll work like you want it to. You can also just run toslink/3.5mm cable to the receiver for audio that way.

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I tried doing that before but if I connect through HDMI the picture gets blurry and fuzzy and is either oversized or undersized no matter what resolution I set it at. Also toslink/3.5 mm doesn't support DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD or PCM audio decoding so I can't do that either since I watch a lot of Blu-Rays.

Toslink should support PCM just fine, and the other two actually depend on your computer and the receiver.

As for size matters, you need to disable overscanning on your TV, then set the monitor resolution to the resolution of your TV (If 1080p, it'll probably be 1080p, but if it's 720p it's likely actually 1360 (or 1366) x 768)

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I don't know where you heard that but TOSLINK does not support DTSHD or TrueHD, you're right about Two Channel PCM though, my mistake.
http://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/

My TV does not have an overscan option, I tried playing with everything I could, Dot by Dot, Input Labeling etc. Nothing worked.

I meant that toslink does support PCM, but alternative connection methods for the other two depend on what methods are shared between your computer and the receiver.

If your TV is any good, it'll have overscan options. You might need to also check the receiver settings. As as I said before, make sure that the screen size is set to the actual size of the TV rather than a generic 720p size.

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Ohh okay, well this is a picture of my mobo panel (Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev 4.0 BIOS F2) http://i.imgur.com/8gZiyC1.jpg

Other than my mobo I have my GTX 970 which has HDMI, DVI and Displayport. Obviously I can't use the displayport.

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR509, I/O specs listed here
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-NR509&class=Receiver

Check what receiver settings? and my TV (Viore LC32VH60CN) is not that great, it's already partly broken because it blacks out sometimes when changing Cable channels but it's worked fine for my computer so I kept using it. It shows very very noticeable horizontal noise lines recently when gaming though for some reason, I can only guess it got messed up even more. I don't have the resources or incentive to buy a new TV now so I have to hold out with this one until 4K HDR and WCG gets standardized and implemented then I'll consider it. The windows resolution is set to 1360x768 (Native resolution is 1366x768 but Windows doesn't have that option) right now with the duplicate option and when I switch my TV source to HDMI it keeps upscaling to 1080p for some reason.

Well, there's your problem right there! Looks like your blurry images are caused by upscaling followed by downscaling. If you want to trick your system, you can try enabling screen scaling in Windows and outputting a 1080p signal to the receiver, though your mileage will vary with that method.

If you have a TV with HDMI ARC, then you might be able to plug the computer straight into the TV and use ARC to feed the receiver, but that's outside my area of expertise.

Other than that, you should check your computer's audio codec specifications to see if it can output the data over your regular audio connectors, though that one is least likely to work.

Solution

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Tried the scaling method and it only made the picture more oversized, I just checked my TV manual and it says nothing about HDMI ARC so I guess it isn't supported. Guess I have to use the Optical Cable, damn. Just e-mailed Gigabyte to find out if they support the codecs or not.

What I don't understand is why it was working earlier and not now.... At least with the Optical Output I probably won't display problems anymore.

Did you check using screen clone rather than extend or some random other software? A driver update might have turned that off.
Though just because it's "working" doesn't mean it's not broken. I've seen plenty of things set up on the premise that "it works as-is" despite being clearly a glitch/not safe, and then having that judgement error come back to haunt them (one guy I know kept frying arduinos because he had both USB and a battery plugged in, working fine most of the time, but when the battery voltage dropped bye-bye arduino)

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Idk what this Screen Clone is, I've been using the Display Options in Windows 10 this whole time. Nvm about that, I finally got it to fit to screen through NVCP with No Scaling/Underscan/Apply Scaling to Programs and Games enabled except the text is ridiculously fuzzy and games don't scale with Windows so they're still oversized, some type of progress though at least. I took a screenshot but the text looks fine in it?

http://i.imgur.com/WB9jp7k.png

In Win 10 (and 8) screen cloning is caled "duplicate" when you press windows+p. Games don't scale with windows, but they sure as hell don't scale with DSR either (at least not perfectly all the time)

Looks good enough there in that screenshot, so probably has to do with your TV. You're going to have to fool around with TV, graphics driver, and receiver settings.

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Screw it, I'm buying that Optical Cable, it's not worth the time to put in with the time I've already put in for $5, DD and DTSHD or TrueHD can't have that much difference.

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

No $3K equipment here, just some regular Pioneer BS-22s with a JBL ES250P Sub in a 2.1 config. Planning to upgrade to 5.1 in the future but that's far off.

Thanks a lot for the help btw.

Probably should have mentioned you were running only 2.1. Definitely do the toslink method then, it's more than enough. Before you upgrade to 5.1, I suggest getting a better TV, they aren't that expensive (compared to decent speakers)

sadab0

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Yeah my bad I forgot to say so because I was busy with doing everything else and I plan on it.

TRENDING THREADS