[SOLVED] Dual 6 pin to 8 pin vs single 6 pin to 8 pin connector

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
So my friend bought msi rx 580 8gb he got dell xps 630 psu which is 760w with 732w max on 12v rail but the problem is it only have two 6pin pcie power so he was using single 6 pin to 8 pin connector but on heavy gaming titles (metro exudus, ac oddessey) his pc restart randomly so i recommend him dual 6 pin to 8 pin connector am i right?? If so what is the purpose of single 6 pin to 8 pin??
And btw i also checked gpu on corsair 600w psu with integrated 8pin it works fine on heavy load so i know gpu is Not faulty
Im not expert but I believe his dell xps 750w psu is enough for a card that requires a single 8 pin if he use dual 6pin to 8pin
Pls reply asap

Last edited:
Solution
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING, 08G-P4-6183-KR

Requirements

• 500 Watt or greater power supply.****
  • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
  • One available 8-pin PCIe power dongle
  • Windows 10 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit
I'm a fan of adapters, if for only 1 reason alone. To change what IS to what IS, not to change what IS to something Different. A dual 6-pin to single 8-pin is only changing the connection, nothing else, both sides have the same expectation. A single 6-pin to single 8-pin is changing the resulting demand on the connection and the wire, asking for upto 180w out of something rated to give upto 120w. Thats...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a PSU equipped with only a 6 pin, can only provide 75W to each connector.
adding an adapter will not increase the wattage magically unless you gang them, a dual 6-pin (75Wx2) to a singe 8-pin (150W) adapter may work, it will be delivering the required 150W to the card.

I am not a fan of adapters though, I have seen too many melt over the years when used improperly, which is all too often.

Last edited:

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
a PSU equipped with only a 6 pin, can only provide 75W to each connector.
adding an adapter will not increase the wattage magically unless you gang them, a dual 6-pin (75Wx2) to a singe 8-pin (150W) adapter may work, it will be delivering the required 150W to the card.

I am not a fan of adapters though, I have seen too many melt over the years when used improperly, which is all too often.
The psu have two 6 pin pcie connectors sorry if i fail to mention it correctly

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
right the 2 6-pins together would provide the right power for the SINGLE 8-pin connection needed.

rarely are these adapters a good idea as they cause problems but if he only needs 1 8-pin, then the DUAL adapter would be ok until he can get a psu with the right connections.

Reactions: Poorsigmaguy

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
right the 2 6-pins together would provide the right power for the SINGLE 8-pin connection needed.

rarely are these adapters a good idea as they cause problems but if he only needs 1 8-pin, then the DUAL adapter would be ok until he can get a psu with the right connections.
U mean it's still better to upgrade to a better PSU after all?? cuz he was planning to use this PSU forever if GPU works well.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
in the long run yes, it's always better to have the right connections. the dell xps psu's are usually not that bad but it's still suspect that 700w+ only has 150w worth of pcie connections. a quality 750w psu would have 4 6+2 (if not more!!) connections to easily handle 2+ cards as it has the power to handle it.

it likely will run with the adapter for a long time but the risk to me is not worth it. these psu's often don't have the built in protections a quality unit will have. so if something does go wrong, they can take parts of the pc with them if not the whole system!! keep in mind these psu's are built with lowest cost and "good enough" specs to do the job for the parts included when it is bought. they don't really consider any upgrades as they'd rather someone buy a new pre-built 2 years down the line.

just have him put a quality psu on his christmas list and go from there :)

Last edited:
I am also planning to buy hp z620 with gtx 1080 or Rx 590

Ok. Let's recap.....

If your PSU only has 6-pin and not 6+2-pin or 8-pin, then it's old. That's the first thing.

I'm cool with using a 2x 6-pin to one 8-pin. But you're now talking about using cards that need more than one connector. If the PSU only has two 6-pin, how do you plan to power a card with one 6-pin and one 8-pin? Answer: You can't.

You upgrade the PSU to something made in the last 10 years.

Do you understand now?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Now I am asking this question for myself last one was for my friend
Are u guys 100% sure that using a 2x6 to 8pin connector not a good idea even if your PSU is strong enough? What about this guy?
He said that it's ok to use 2x6 pin to 8 pin on 800w PSU
View: https://youtu.be/XqsRIAgvoYo

you can ALWAYS find someone who who will claim whatever you want to do is ok. does not make it a good idea. you got someone here who works in the industry explaining it to you. hard to get more expert advice than that. and i am talking about johnnyguru above. perhaps you've seen his site??

his site tests and reviews psu's and is a very respcted name in the psu world. :)

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
Ok. Let's recap.....

If your PSU only has 6-pin and not 6+2-pin or 8-pin, then it's old. That's the first thing.

I'm cool with using a 2x 6-pin to one 8-pin. But you're now talking about using cards that need more than one connector. If the PSU only has two 6-pin, how do you plan to power a card with one 6-pin and one 8-pin? Answer: You can't.

You upgrade the PSU to something made in the last 10 years.

Do you understand now?
Wow that's a very helpful website you got there jonnyguru.com
First I will buy GPU with only one 8pin
Second:so it is perfectly ok to use a card like gtx 1080 or equivalent with only one 8pin with hp z620??

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
you can ALWAYS find someone who who will claim whatever you want to do is ok. does not make it a good idea. you got someone here who works in the industry explaining it to you. hard to get more expert advice than that. and i am talking about johnnyguru above. perhaps you've seen his site??

his site tests and reviews psu's and is a very respcted name in the psu world. :)
[/QUOT

Poorsigmaguy

Reputable
Dec 16, 2019
Yep that's why I am here for a confirmation.
The reason I'm asking so many questions is because I'm going to spend my life savings in this build (example: hp z620 +gtx 1080 or equivalent with one 8pin) and I am going to use this build for at least 5+ years and I don't want my GPU to melt down in one year of use

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING, 08G-P4-6183-KR

Requirements

• 500 Watt or greater power supply.****
  • PCI Express, PCI Express 2.0 or PCI Express 3.0 compliant motherboard with one graphics slot.
  • One available 8-pin PCIe power dongle
  • Windows 10 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit, Windows 7 32/64bit
I'm a fan of adapters, if for only 1 reason alone. To change what IS to what IS, not to change what IS to something Different. A dual 6-pin to single 8-pin is only changing the connection, nothing else, both sides have the same expectation. A single 6-pin to single 8-pin is changing the resulting demand on the connection and the wire, asking for upto 180w out of something rated to give upto 120w. Thats a fire hazard.

Last edited:
Solution