[SOLVED] Dual 8 Pin GPU - I am Confused ?

Nov 27, 2020
I purchased MSI RX 5600 XT and it has dual 8 pin connectors. But from my PSU, I only have one 8 pin(6+2) and one 6 pin. So, I'm thinking about getting an adapter (2 molex to 8 pin). I'll use my own 8 pin and the adapter one. So a straight 8 and a 2 molex to 8. Would it work and be safe?

Here is my PSU . I was using Gigabyte 1050 Ti with it for 4 years and had no problem so far. It was connecting with just 6 pin.

BTW, in MSI website it says that this GPU consumes 150 watt. If an 8 pin connector provides 150 watt energy, why does this GPU has dual 8 pin connectors?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm ok. You could try an 6pin to 8pin PCIe adapter, it'll just add another couple of earth wires.

No, do NOT do this.

While I agree that it's ridiculous that MSI has TWO 8-pin connectors for an RX 5600 XT (the card is about 150W TDP total), the fact is that, in theory, either one of those might want to pull up to 150W. You don't know which one. If the one that's adapted from the 6-pin, thus 75 watts, has significantly more than 75 watts pulled from it, melting and fire could occur.

A 6-pin is designed for up to 75W total draw, 8-pin for up to 150W total draw. A 2x6-pin to 1x8-pin is the only acceptable adapter, because input and output are rated for the same total power.

Again, it's insane that MSI equipped that card with...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is never a good idea to use one of those adapters. if you don't have the needed connectors, then you need a new psu that does have them.

a quality 600w psu should have 2 8-pins. from what i can find, that psu has to be at least 10 years old but probably older. i can't even find a picture of the label to see what power it claims to output.

put all this together and a new psu is the only way to go to ensure safe and reliable power for your system. it's not worth the risk of trying to create power where it is not already there.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm ok. You could try an 6pin to 8pin PCIe adapter, it'll just add another couple of earth wires.

No, do NOT do this.

While I agree that it's ridiculous that MSI has TWO 8-pin connectors for an RX 5600 XT (the card is about 150W TDP total), the fact is that, in theory, either one of those might want to pull up to 150W. You don't know which one. If the one that's adapted from the 6-pin, thus 75 watts, has significantly more than 75 watts pulled from it, melting and fire could occur.

A 6-pin is designed for up to 75W total draw, 8-pin for up to 150W total draw. A 2x6-pin to 1x8-pin is the only acceptable adapter, because input and output are rated for the same total power.

Again, it's insane that MSI equipped that card with 2x8-pin connectors (they have other 5600 XT variants with a single 8-pin), but that's what you're stuck with, and I would NOT recommend gambling on a 1x6-to-1x8 adapter.

Further, if @Math Geek 's assumption about the age of that PSU is correct, along with the fact that there's no specification label available, I would imagine that, in real world terms, it produces well under the 600W it claims, and is probably hazardous to use.

Reactions: boju
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i found a couple reviews for a 700w and a 900w model of this psu. they were from ~2008. so i assume the 600w model is from the same rough time span. so 10 years old is probably being generous

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't think Gamemax is a known good brand, and a very quick search that I did suggests that it's a poor quality unit. But, what's available in Turkey is different than what's available in the US, in Western Europe, etc.

Click on the first two links in my signature - these will give you guidance as to what are good PSUs, what are bad, and what are acceptable if you MUST get by on a low budget.

A PSU is not something you want to take any chances on.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah gamemax is not a very good brand. can you give us a budget and a site or 2 you can shop at?

it's quick and easy for use to skim and find the best unit for your money since we know the models worth buying and those to avoid. makes it a lot quicker for everyone :)

Reactions: King_V

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I decided to buy a new PSU. This is the one I'm considering to buy. It approximately equals to $60 in our currency (Turkey). It has 4x (6+2) pins so the main issue about my problem is gonna be solved but I'd want to hear your thoughts as well. 😊

https://gamemaxpc.com/productkkk/showproduct.php?id=1069

Yeah, that's quite low quality, another group-regulated PSU of ancient design. There's no such thing right now as purchasable 750W PSU in $60 worth of any currency.

You don't need 750W, of course. a quality budget 550W would be just fine, which typically means Corsair CX or better.

Reactions: King_V