DUAL 980 ti no display?

Kruluk

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Okay, so I built a new computer this past weekend.

Motherboard ASUS x99-a USB 3.1
CPU i7 5930k
With 2 Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 980 ti's

I wasn't able to get the system up and running with both graphics cards installed, just wasn't able to ever get a display. So I went with just one card so I could get my system up and running. I am running Windows 10.

Now that I have installed Nvidia drivers and software I figured that might solve the issue and I could just plug in the other card and it would work. No such luck.

I am running two different PSU's a 1000 watt and 750 watt, they are connected by a cable that allows them to power on simultaneously, power shouldn't be an issue.

When I try using both cards it seems like the system is perpetually rebooting but I am not 100 percent since I can't see any display when they are both installed to the motherboard.

By my understanding I am installing them in the right PCIe slots. Slot 1 and 3. I have my thunderbolt card installed to slot 2. And then slot 4 doesn't work if you have m.2 storage.

Please help me get both cards running. I want to run the cards independently without SLI. I did however try them with SLI to see if that made a difference, but it didn't.

Your using two PSU's? WHY? Provided it's good quality, that single 1000W unit should run both cards.

Trying to balance two psu's to run one machine sounds like a very bad idea- any subtle differences between voltages on the two could feed back into your system and cause major instability or even damage.

Please can you list the make / model of the PSU's, and if suitable try running everything off the single 1000W unit...

Kruluk

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I'm using two because it was cheaper since I had the 1000watt already but needed more power for the amount of hard disk drives I need, the 750 watt is only used to power harddisk drives, and the optical disk drive

ok, still sounds like a strange setup but anyway, please can you provide specs of the 1000w unit your using?

Not all '1000w' psu's are the same. If it's an 'OEM' unit it probably isn't up to running 2 x 980ti.

Ok, well that isn't your problem then, that's a really good quality supply! I'm not sure what else would cause the issue, maybe look into if there is a newer bios available for your motherboard?

Kruluk

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
installed most current bios, didn't work, installed chipset drivers, still doesnt work, both cards have the most up to date drivers

I've tried both cards in both slots, and vice versa , both cards and PCI slots work

when I put install both cards the computer doesnt boot into bios, it seems like it is perpetually rebooting with no display

Yeah this isn't a HDD issue. It sounds like a problem with motherboard support, if both cards work independently. Officially the board support SLI so it should work, still could be faulty if it won't go past bios.

One thought (and just a stupid question as I'm not familiar with recent SLI), but you have fitted the SLI cable between the two cards (assuming they still use a cable / connector? I know AMD dropped it with their latest cards but I *think* nVidia still requires a direct connection?)...

Kruluk

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I've tried it with the SLI cable, without it, and I've tried putting the SLI cable on either slot to no avail

I spoke with Asus this morning and the rep told me that the board doesn't officially support 980 ti in SLI... sounds like horse poopie to me

Really thinking about returning the board and buying something more expensive and not from Asus

Kruluk

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
I've got both GPUs working, but I am not able to get the thunderbolt card working with the GPUs, when I install the thunderbolt card the system keeps rebooting indefinitely, not able to see anything on display, it's like bios isn't posting

This sounds like a resource conflict between the Thunderbolt card and the graphics cards. I must admit I'm not familiar with thunderbolt, can you get a different thunderbolt adapter perhaps?

This sounds a lot like old 'IRQ' conflicts that used to occur with some combinations of ISA cards back in the day. It may be the case that you cannot run sli + thunderbolt in teh same machine (I'm assuming thunderbolt is a pcie card as well?).

If you can't live without the thunderbolt card, maybe look into one of the upcoming dual gpu cards rather than 2 980ti's in sli (there is an AMD Fury X2 in the works apparently, and I'm sure nVidia will respond with a dual 980ti card not long after).