I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
I cannot boot from the 2nd hard. If I disable the primary
drive by removing the power plug I am able to boot from
the 2nd HD. The computer sees everything and I can use
all the partitions. In dual if I try and use the 2nd drive I
get this message:

Windows could not start because of a hardware configeration
problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot
path and disk hardware.

In the boot.ini I use this setting

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect

herbiee wrote:
> I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
> and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
> I cannot boot from the 2nd hard. If I disable the primary
> drive by removing the power plug I am able to boot from
> the 2nd HD. The computer sees everything and I can use
> all the partitions. In dual if I try and use the 2nd drive I
> get this message:
>
> Windows could not start because of a hardware configeration
> problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot
> path and disk hardware.
>
> In the boot.ini I use this setting
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
>
> multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect

You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
boot.ini file to the following:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect

Nepatsfan

tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
look look.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> herbiee wrote:
> > I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
> > and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
> > I cannot boot from the 2nd hard. If I disable the primary
> > drive by removing the power plug I am able to boot from
> > the 2nd HD. The computer sees everything and I can use
> > all the partitions. In dual if I try and use the 2nd drive I
> > get this message:
> >
> > Windows could not start because of a hardware configeration
> > problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot
> > path and disk hardware.
> >
> > In the boot.ini I use this setting
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> > Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
> >
> > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> > Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>
> You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
> boot.ini file to the following:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>
> Nepatsfan

You should be able to switch between the drives by going into the bios and
just selecting the drive you want to boot from.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

herbiee wrote:
> tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the
> 2nd HD look look.

How do you have your hard drives jumpered? Are they set up as
master and slave?

If that's not the problem then your next step should be to boot
your computer from your XP installation CD, enter the Recovery
Console and use the bootcfg command to configure your boot.ini
file. Here are some articles that you might find helpful:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware
configuration problem

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBJ/tip4700/rh4701.htm

Recovery Console

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmc_str_bjid.asp

Bootcfg

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_bootcfg.mspx

Good luck

Nepatsfan

You can't set it up like that. If the clone see the original drive/partition it
will give that volume whatever drive letter it "owns" (say C:) according to
the cloned registry. The clone will grab another letter for itself (say D:), but
with all file pointers set to C:, will fail to boot.

"herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79C1449F-F07A-4D64-883A-02829194D38A@microsoft.com...
> tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
> look look.
>

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> herbiee wrote:
>> > I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
>> > and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
>> > I cannot boot from the 2nd hard. If I disable the primary
>> > drive by removing the power plug I am able to boot from
>> > the 2nd HD. The computer sees everything and I can use
>> > all the partitions. In dual if I try and use the 2nd drive I
>> > get this message:
>> >
>> > Windows could not start because of a hardware configeration
>> > problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot
>> > path and disk hardware.
>> >
>> > In the boot.ini I use this setting
>> >
>> > [boot loader]
>> > timeout=30
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> > Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
>> >
>> > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> > Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>>
>> You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
>> boot.ini file to the following:
>>
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>>
>> Nepatsfan

Hi,

The problem is in how the second installation "sees" itself. You installed
as C on the primary, but your clone is niether - this is why you get a
configuration error. You can either a) do a repair install on the clone
installation so that it and its hardware are properly enumerated or b) do as
suggested by another user and dual boot by switching the drive order in the
system BIOS.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
> look look.
>

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> herbiee wrote:
>> > I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
>> > and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
>> > I cannot boot from the 2nd hard. If I disable the primary
>> > drive by removing the power plug I am able to boot from
>> > the 2nd HD. The computer sees everything and I can use
>> > all the partitions. In dual if I try and use the 2nd drive I
>> > get this message:
>> >
>> > Windows could not start because of a hardware configeration
>> > problem. Could not read from selected boot disk. check boot
>> > path and disk hardware.
>> >
>> > In the boot.ini I use this setting
>> >
>> > [boot loader]
>> > timeout=30
>> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> > [operating systems]
>> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> > Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
>> >
>> > multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> > Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>>
>> You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
>> boot.ini file to the following:
>>
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>>
>> Nepatsfan

Hey Bill,

Nice to see you here.

--

"Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
> You can't set it up like that. If the clone see the original
> drive/partition it
> will give that volume whatever drive letter it "owns" (say C:) according
> the cloned registry. The clone will grab another letter for itself (say
> D:), but
> with all file pointers set to C:, will fail to boot.
>

> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
>> look look.

>>> You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
>>> boot.ini file to the following:
>>>
>>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
>>> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
>>>
>>> Nepatsfan

Hey hey Rick :):)
The 98 group seems to be dying so I thought I might lurk in here
once in a while. Maybe throw out a post or two when I can figure out
wtH you guys are talking about.. :eek:)

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eJ$VBpSeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hey Bill,
>
> Nice to see you here.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message news:OkWPdBSeFHA.3880@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You can't set it up like that. If the clone see the original drive/partition it
>> will give that volume whatever drive letter it "owns" (say C:) according to
>> the cloned registry. The clone will grab another letter for itself (say D:), but
>> with all file pointers set to C:, will fail to boot.
>>

>> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:79C1449F-F07A-4D64-883A-02829194D38A@microsoft.com...
>>> tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
>>> look look.

I cloned XP on same drive but to different partition &
use boot manager PQboot to load 1 of 2 as C. The other
non-active partition is HIDDEN. So I have
C hidden D E or
hidden C D E

U gotta maybe change boot.ini on clone 2. No experience
using 2nd drive so I cant comment. I put clone behind C
to min any '1st active primary blah blah' problems.
Works perfectly tho

HTH-Larry

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:53:56 -0400, "Bill Blanton"
<bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote:

|You can't set it up like that. If the clone see the original drive/partition it
|will give that volume whatever drive letter it "owns" (say C:) according to
|the cloned registry. The clone will grab another letter for itself (say D:), but
|with all file pointers set to C:, will fail to boot.

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Thanks Rick,

I cannot boot from the 2nd HD by turning off the 1st HD in BIOS. Both are
setup as select, will I have to change tham to master and slave ?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem is in how the second installation "sees" itself. You installed
> as C on the primary, but your clone is niether - this is why you get a
> configuration error. You can either a) do a repair install on the clone
> installation so that it and its hardware are properly enumerated or b) do as
> suggested by another user and dual boot by switching the drive order in the
> system BIOS.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
> > look look.

> >> You can try changing the second XP Professional entry in your
> >> boot.ini file to the following:
> >>
> >> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft
> >> Windows XP Professional BACKUP" /fastdetect
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:09:05 -0700, "herbiee"
<herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
|and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro.
|I cannot boot from the 2nd hard.
Builtin OS selection will never boot a 2nd XP.
U must use another boot routine like PQboot in PMagic

HTH-Larry
Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Hi,

You likely will need to change the boot drive order to do it. Frankly, as
has been stated, this is not the way you would want to create a multiboot
anyhow.

--

> Thanks Rick,
>
> I cannot boot from the 2nd HD by turning off the 1st HD in BIOS. Both are
> setup as select, will I have to change tham to master and slave ?
>

> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The problem is in how the second installation "sees" itself. You
>> installed
>> as C on the primary, but your clone is niether - this is why you get a
>> configuration error. You can either a) do a repair install on the clone
>> installation so that it and its hardware are properly enumerated or b) do
>> as
>> suggested by another user and dual boot by switching the drive order in
>> the
>> system BIOS.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > tried it and no workie. What should the boot loader on the 2nd HD
>> > look look.

thanks again

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You likely will need to change the boot drive order to do it. Frankly, as
> has been stated, this is not the way you would want to create a multiboot
> anyhow.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rick,
> >
> > I cannot boot from the 2nd HD by turning off the 1st HD in BIOS. Both are
> > setup as select, will I have to change tham to master and slave ?
> >

> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The problem is in how the second installation "sees" itself. You
> >> installed
> >> as C on the primary, but your clone is niether - this is why you get a
> >> configuration error. You can either a) do a repair install on the clone
> >> installation so that it and its hardware are properly enumerated or b) do
> >> as
> >> suggested by another user and dual boot by switching the drive order in
> >> the
> >> system BIOS.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

frodo

two cents:

that boot.ini looks wrong:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP1" /fastdetect ...
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP2" /fastdetect ...

in the 3rd line, disk(1) is not right; in the multi format, the disk entry
shd always be 0. rdisk is what you want to use.

I think this is what you really want:

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP1" /fastdetect ...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="XP2" /fastdetect ...

This assumes each disk has a single partition (partition numbers start
from 1, not from 0 as the other fields do).

-----

also, as stated, the fact that you cloned the disk may mess things up,
because the second disk will not be treated as "c:\", but as "d:\" [if
it's plugged into IDE2M]. HOWEVER, most system reg entries should be
using environment variables, so it may still boot up, allowing you to hand
edit any misc reg entries and get it all working ok. Then again, you might
not!

TRENDING THREADS