Dual-Boot 2xM.2 System Build - Need help

Johnnykarr

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Please read in its entirety before responding - cheers.

Introduction:
Hello there! I have been working on this concept for a few weeks now and as I get closer to pulling the trigger I was hoping to get some feedback from the community. My main goal with this build is to merge my needs for both Windows and Mac into a single powerhouse unit. I love the process and take pride in the computer building process/finished product, so I am aiming for a higher end build.

Basics of Computer Usage:
The windows side of things would be used for gaming and a Windows based business program that I use (Agtek 4D). On the other side, the Mac OS would be used for music production/video rendering and CAD design. I do a lot of Visualization work. So this thing really needs some power.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
notes: In my opinion this is a pretty clear choice.

CPU & GPU Cooler:
- NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
- NZXT Kraken X41 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler w/ NZXT G10
or
- Custom EKWB Loop
notes: I like the ease of the Kraken setup and the aesthetics of the custom loop. I feel that either will work.

Motherboard:
- Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
or
- Asus Z170-PREMIUM ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
notes: GA-z170 has dual M.2 ports which I draws me towards it. However, with a primarily white build I like the Asus z170, even if it only has 1xM.2. I need all the additional features of the Asus model (bluetooth, thunderbolt, integrated wireless is nice, ect) or I would just go with the -A model.

Memory:
- G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
or
- G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3466 Memory (Newegg only - No PCpartPicker)

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (x2)
Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (x2)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
notes: I eventually would like to SLIx2

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Concept
I like the idea of running both operating systems on separate M.2 SSD's. On start up it would basically pick between one or the other. Partitioning a single M.2 would work the same, but if the MOBO has dual M.2 why not let each have their respected port? The 2x 850's would be for storage along with maybe a 2TB HDD. Hopefully both sides of the secondary storage could be accessed from either OS system.

Aesthetics is something that is taken into consideration. As of now I like the White theme with multiple RGB led's to light the case. May do some custom cutting in the top/front of the case itself and line it with LED's. I do a lot of video mixing as well (Resolume) and I am trying to find a way to integrate the case LED's to the software, maybe with an Arduino? I think it would be pretty cool to custom map all the LED's in the case and be able to control them individually, like a video wall.

Community Response
I am pretty open to discussion and responses. I am looking for input on what direction to take this thing. I am by no means a computer expert, so I am looking for responses on both the hardware, aesthetics, as well as the conceptual idea of what I am trying to accomplish. I am looking to purchase and build within the next 2-5 weeks.

Thank You
I want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read this and maybe even ponder some ideas. Everything helps. I will keep this updated as much as I can depending on the responses that arise.

Why do you NEED a Mac OS to run software that's equally available on Windows?

Macs are not BETTER at any of those visual production things, just the people who use Macs are computer illiterate. If you already know how to do CAD design, or video production, the exact same skills carry over to the Windows versions of the software you're used to, or similar software isn't any different.

That said, everything you've listed should be fine.

I'd go with the Gigabyte board if you want to do 2x m.2 drives. It doesn't have built in wifi and bluetooth, but adding an adapter for one isn't difficult. (you put it in the very very top PCI slot)

32GBs in 16x2 config so you can upgrade to 64 by just adding an identical kit later on. (though even then sometimes it doesn't work)

There ARE white and black GPUs out there as well.

Case is pretty much personal preference, but there are other white cases out there as well that may be nicer, like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854002

Custom loops are not easy to setup, and also require quite a bit of maintenance, I'm not sure I'd want to risk my first custom loop on a $3k PC, as they're far more prone to leakage from AIO coolers.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($315.62 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($315.62 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Black 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($684.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($684.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H440 (Glossy White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($130.50 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($36.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $3381.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-16 11:59 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS