Dual Boot 8.1/10 OS selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I'm using WIn 8.1 as my main OS, but I have the 10 Home preview (Build 10240) on a second hard drive and I'm dual-booting. But there's something strange happening:

- If i set WIndows 10 as the default OS, then the PC boots to the OS selection screen and gives me 30 seconds to pick which one I want to use

- But if I set 8.1 as the default, it boots directly into 8.1 and doesn't let me select the 10 preview.

Any idea why? I'd prefer to have 8.1 as the default, but I don't want to go into BIOS every time I want to switch between them.

plast0000

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
start "msconfig.exe" in any OS

click on the "boot" tab
in the table you will see Windows 10 and Windows 8.1
click on Windows 8.1 then click on "set as default", click "apply"

you can switch between them everytime

That depends if

1. Both OS's are on different partitions on 1 hdd.

Or

2. Theyre on different hdds (it sounds like they are). If the Win10 hdd wasnt connected when 8.1 was installed (and when you installed Win10). Then you have to go into the bios all the time to change the bootdisk

lazereagle

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Tried changing default OS in msconfig, but it didn't fix it. When Win10 is set as default, I get the option to switch, but if 8.1 is set as default, then it boots straight to 8.1 without letting me choose.

The 2 OSes are on separate hard drives, and I don't know if that hdd was connected when I installed 8.1. It probably was, but that partition didn't exist yet so maybe that's the issue. Still don't understand why that would cause the problem, but it looks like that's probably it.

Status
Not open for further replies.