[SOLVED] (Dual boot) adding Windows 10 on a new SSD to an existing Windows XP (seperate HDD)

zacetnik

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
I know, it's one of those dual boot questions, but, weirdly, I can't find an answer to my specific situation.

In my situation, I already have a fully, happilly working Win XP on its own HDD, which I will still need because of some old hardware and outdated driver issues.
I want to install Win 10 on its own new SSD. And have them in dual boot mode.

Do I just add the SSD, install Win 10 on it and let it work its magic, or will there be problems? (Will IDE mode be an issue?)

Should I first disconnect the HDD with Win XP on it and then reconnect it once installation is complete? Or would that cause problems?

Once both Win XP and Win 10 are set up - let's assume Win XP has occupied C: , what partition will Win 10 occupy and is that even a problem if a system partition isn't C: ?
Also, is there an easy way to prohibit both OSs from accessing the other's partition?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Absolutely disconnect the XP drive.
Then connect the drive for Win 10.
Then install Win 10.
Reconnect the XP drive after.

Select which to boot from during the power on process.

But...what hardware is this? Something applicable for XP may not work with WIn 10.

USAFRet

Titan
Absolutely disconnect the XP drive.
Then connect the drive for Win 10.
Then install Win 10.
Reconnect the XP drive after.

Select which to boot from during the power on process.

But...what hardware is this? Something applicable for XP may not work with WIn 10.

Reactions: zacetnik
Solution

zacetnik

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the answer. It's the last series of ASRock motherboard that supported XP (H61M) and I know for a fact it will work with Win 10, but thank you for the warning.

A followup question: would all this disconnecting / reconnecting XP drive change the drive letter when booting Win XP? Because that could cause some major mayhem if the drive letter is no longer C: .

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the answer. It's the last series of ASRock motherboard that supported XP (H61M) and I know for a fact it will work with Win 10, but thank you for the warning.

A followup question: would all this disconnecting / reconnecting XP drive change the drive letter when booting Win XP? Because that could cause some major mayhem if the drive letter is no longer C: .
Whichever drive and OS it boots from will see itself as the current C drive.

The other drive will be some other letter.

For instance:
HDD = XP
SSD = Win 10

Power on and choose the HDD/XP to boot from....the HDD will be the C drive, the SSD wil be the D.
Restart and choose the SSD/Win10....the SSD will be the C drive and the HDD will be the D.

TRENDING THREADS