dual boot advice please

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

I'm putting in a new hdd and want to partition it and have a dual boot. I
understand that the first OS to install is the lower system and the second
would be XP. So, my question is - if my purpose is to continue playing older
games, should I install W95 or W98 or DOS 6.22? Thank you for any advice.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Cassie" <castalides@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in

> I'm putting in a new hdd and want to partition it and have a dual
> boot. I understand that the first OS to install is the lower
> system and the second would be XP. So, my question is - if my
> purpose is to continue playing older games, should I install W95
> or W98 or DOS 6.22? Thank you for any advice.

Between Win95 and Win98, I'd definitely choose 98. It's more stable,
and I don't know of any games that can be played under Win95 that can't
be under Win98. I'd go with Win98se. (I currently boot Win98se,
WinXP, and Gentoo GNU/Linux. 98se is very stable now; I think the
driver QA Microsoft put in place for NT systems had a trickle-down
effect for people also producing 9X drivers.)

As for DOS, I can't say. With only Win9X and XP, once you install
WinXP, the normal 'Boot to DOS' option in Win95/98 will be gone, as the
NT Bootloader will replace the one for Win9X. There may be a way
around that, but I don't have one.

It should be possible to install DOS 6.22 then Win9X then WinXP so that
you have all three.

--
»Q«

"»Q«" <boxcars@gmx.net> wrote in message
> "Cassie" <castalides@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
>
> > I'm putting in a new hdd and want to partition it and have a dual
> > boot. I understand that the first OS to install is the lower
> > system and the second would be XP. So, my question is - if my
> > purpose is to continue playing older games, should I install W95
> > or W98 or DOS 6.22? Thank you for any advice.
>
> Between Win95 and Win98, I'd definitely choose 98. It's more stable,
> and I don't know of any games that can be played under Win95 that can't
> be under Win98. I'd go with Win98se.

Hi ....

I recently bought a new machine and opted for a Win98SE/XP dual boot system
and I like it very much.

But I'm writing here to say that although there aren't many of them, there
ARE someWin95 games that won't play in Win98.
[Just so as you know !! ;-)]

Cheers.

Mad :)

CK

Distinguished
May 25, 2004
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

> As for DOS, I can't say. With only Win9X and XP, once you install
> WinXP, the normal 'Boot to DOS' option in Win95/98 will be gone, as the
> NT Bootloader will replace the one for Win9X. There may be a way
> around that, but I don't have one.
>
> It should be possible to install DOS 6.22 then Win9X then WinXP so that
> you have all three.

Back when I had a 98SE machine, I made sure that I had a 2GB FAT16
partition (it can be smaller if you like, but no bigger) that had a DOS
install on it, and then I used a DOS system floppy to make sure that I
was in a real DOS environment for those few games that needed it. And if
you really have finicky games, you can use a different floppy for
different environments - memory location, drivers, that kind of thing.

HTH.

CK

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure (More info?)

"Cassie" <castalides@NOSPAMyahoo.com> once tried to test me with:

> I'm putting in a new hdd and want to partition it and have a dual
> boot. I understand that the first OS to install is the lower system
> and the second would be XP. So, my question is - if my purpose is to
> continue playing older games, should I install W95 or W98 or DOS 6.22?
> Thank you for any advice.

My advice is get Windows XP Pro and do not do duel boot. Use DosBox to run
the dos games. There might be a few games you can't get run but it will be
very few and not worth the hassles of having a duel boot, which is a pita
to maintain.

If DosBox (which is free) doesn't work you can go for the more expensive
but also much more robust VMWare, which lets you run a virtual machine
under Windows XP that can be running any of the following OS's:

Windows 3.1,95,98,ME,NT,2000,XP (yes, you can be running a virtual PC
running XP under XP)
MS-DOS 6.x
Mandrake Linux 8.2, 9.0
RedHat Linus 7.x-9.0
Redhat Enterprise Linux 2.1/3.0
SuSE Linux 7.x-9.1
and several other Linux varieties
Novell Netware 5.1, 6, 6.5
Solaris 9 and 10 (beta)
FreeBSD 4.x - 5.0

And those are just the supported OS's. In theory you can run other OS's on
it but it may not work 100% correctly.

VMWare is kind of pricey at around $200 but there are other virtual-machine
softwares out there too, it just happens to be one of the higher-rated
ones.

To offer more specific advice, what are some specific games you're wanting
support for? I'm willing to bet most of them will run under XP either with
changing some settings or under DosBox.

Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

Cassie wrote:
> I'm putting in a new hdd and want to partition it and have a dual boot. I
> understand that the first OS to install is the lower system and the second
> would be XP. So, my question is - if my purpose is to continue playing older
> games, should I install W95 or W98 or DOS 6.22? Thank you for any advice.

I'm running XP and 98se (and Linux). I don't think 98 is as good as 95 for
*old* DOS games, but DosBox (under XP) runs those games better than either
98 or 95 (since it's unlikely you'll have a DOS friendly driver for your
video/audio hardware). I've only needed 98 for a few games, including
3 Skulls of the Toltecs and Alien Incident.

My XP is not connected to the network -- I use Linux and 98 for that. The
advantage of using 98 is that it's easy to re-install when you start
collecting viruses etc. (Easy cause none of my real software is on 98.)
The downside, of course, is lots of rebooting. VMWare is good for that, too.
--
David Tanguay http://www.sentex.ca/~datanguayh/
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada [43.24N 80.29W]