Dual boot from SSD drive not working.

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Did the usual Disk Shrink in disk Management to prepare for dual OS on a 128 GB SSD drive. I rebooted and installed Windows XP Pro 64 bit. Everything went fine other than when the system restarts and I expect to see the option of selecting what OS I want to boot from.....it just continues on and boots up XP. This is a brand new build Gigabyte MB, i5 CPU, 8 GB Kingston DDR3. I have checked everything in the bios, and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Have never ran into this before, any ideas ? Btw, I have 2 other drives ready to go but the are not plugged in. Just the Kingston SSD.

freakdemon

Honorable
Jul 21, 2012
About 30 minutes before you replied I remembered what step I was forgetting.....after you install the second OS all you need to do is start the install of Win7 again and let it get to where it restarts. This fixes the MBR. You then can choose the OS you want to boot from. EasyBCD is great too, since Ubuntu will be going on a second drive. Makes it alot easier to manage your system. Thanks for your replies.