Question dual boot is it reliable and how difficult is it to do

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
I want to move toward linux but still have win10 close to run what i might not find or be used to
i have a new ssd 500 gb .
icould go for dual boot but i have nevez done that nor installed linux before

Sometimes it try to save money of make things perfect and that bring me in situation of complicated procedure , lots of help asking and it is long for me.
if in the end spending money for another ssd or just placing win 10 on another hdd can save me trouble ill do it

but is it really troubles to install a dual boot ? lets say i invite someone who knows how to do it . and i it is a good start, am i likely to get run into troubles after the intsallation from just using it?

You can run linux from a usb stick first to gain experience and knowledge about it before installing it for real, some of them support persistence files so they save everything you do.

The larger linux distributions support dual boot install from their installation programs so as loing as everything goes at it should it's super easy to do a dual boot because it happens automatically.

Just when installing windows, which should be installed first, don't use the whole disk space leave some amount, like 50Gb, unallocated that way linux will see that empty space and install itself there.

Dual boot is just as safe or dangerous as a simple install, windows (any OS) can mess up and stop working all on itself when running alone and dual boot won't change that.

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
HI terry,
i already choose to go with linux as a first os. no need for usb.
mint cinmon
i forgot to ask you. are you answering from your own experience or theorically?

i hear that you say that it is as stable ans sefe to install linux and win 10 on the same ssd as it would be to install them on concretely different ssdhdd..
dont be upset, i need other opinions to confirm your say , why , i read 5 years ago that installing dualboot was complicated and lead to more probleme like windows tending to cruch linux from time to time....

anyone can tell there xp?

Last edited:

anaturelover

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
hi
ok how the ntsf fat32 and those thing are important ? what do i have to know?

Also should i fist have win 10 on hdd and then add ssd and install mint or boot installation need to be done with only one material disk plugged on a te time?

what is the order of stuff to do thx