[SOLVED] Dual-boot Linux and Windows 10 ---- does OS installation order matter ?

Peter_161

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
I have a vague memory that the ideal way to install a dual boot of Linux and Windows is to start from a clean drive and install Linux first?
Is that true?

I've only done the reverse order in the past and I always have some sort of issue that doesn't make it worth keeping Linux, like annoying booting issues.

Separately, recently I tried VirtualBox and I have issues: interface text disappears, it often fails on start.....and I'm guessing dual boot is a little more reliable?

ty

Solution
The way I've known since the start of Windows 10's release is that you install Windows 10 first, then resize the partition for Linux, then install Linux to make sure that everything is running optimally. Further reading; for Ubuntu but the concept is the same. Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? If this is a desktop, make sure the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update.

Lutfij

Titan
The way I've known since the start of Windows 10's release is that you install Windows 10 first, then resize the partition for Linux, then install Linux to make sure that everything is running optimally. Further reading; for Ubuntu but the concept is the same. Which version of Windows 10 are you working with? If this is a desktop, make sure the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update.

Solution
I still dual boot as I "need" Windows for gaming. It's always been install Windows first. I typically create my partitions first, but it doesn't matter really if you create them first or resize it afterwards.

Install Windows 10, doesn't matter which version (I'm running the latest version on two machines), then install Linux (I'm using Mint).