[SOLVED] Dual Boot on Asus B460 Pro (wifi) motherboard?

justyermama

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2013
So my daughter plays a lot of old games that are meant for Windows XP and Windows 7. I tried to install Windows 8 on a second hard drive to give her a better chance at being able to play her games. However, even though the bios allows you to install Windows 8, (with CSM enabled), when I try to install the chipset and motherboard drivers, I get the error message that the CD does not support this operating system. I can't go online because Windows 8 does not recognize the LAN . I went to the website while in Windows 10 and the only available drivers for OTHER Operatins systems are bios updates. So is the CSM enabled option even useful then? Would Linux recognize the drivers? And if so, could I play old Windows games on that OS? Also what about installing a different os using virtualization? Wouldn't I have the same problem? Please help!!! Thank you justyermama

Solution
So my daughter plays a lot of old games that are meant for Windows XP and Windows 7. I tried to install Windows 8 on a second hard drive to give her a better chance at being able to play her games. However, even though the bios allows you to install Windows 8, (with CSM enabled), when I try to install the chipset and motherboard drivers, I get the error message that the CD does not support this operating system. I can't go online because Windows 8 does not recognize the LAN . I went to the website while in Windows 10 and the only available drivers for OTHER Operatins systems are bios updates. So is the CSM enabled option even useful then? Would Linux recognize the drivers? And if so, could I play old Windows games on that...
So my daughter plays a lot of old games that are meant for Windows XP and Windows 7. I tried to install Windows 8 on a second hard drive to give her a better chance at being able to play her games. However, even though the bios allows you to install Windows 8, (with CSM enabled), when I try to install the chipset and motherboard drivers, I get the error message that the CD does not support this operating system. I can't go online because Windows 8 does not recognize the LAN . I went to the website while in Windows 10 and the only available drivers for OTHER Operatins systems are bios updates. So is the CSM enabled option even useful then? Would Linux recognize the drivers? And if so, could I play old Windows games on that OS? Also what about installing a different os using virtualization? Wouldn't I have the same problem? Please help!!! Thank you justyermama
Yes you will have the same issue with vms you run into a lot of the same issues mainly because the manufacturers locked the cpu's compatibility out of the older os linux will run older windows games with a little help you can google videos on specific games on how to get them to work through linux. There are also tools out there that have been released to unlock support for your system to run windows 7 and things like that even though thet "banned" the chips in a since which dosn't makes simce though because you go to like my boards webpage and it has windows 7 drivers. "BUT THERE'S NO ACTUAL WAY TO INSTALL WINDOWS 7 ON MY SYSTEM IT WONT PHYSCALLY LET YOU AT ALL" if i could i would go back to 7 in a flash

Solution