[SOLVED] Dual Boot Option after Downgrade from Windows 10

User88

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017
I just finished downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 Professional SP 1.
After few times restart to install latest driver, there is a option to choose my boot either Windows 7 or Windows 10. Checked my C drive, no file related to Windows 10. I am not doing dual boot windows.
Is it possible to delete that boot option?

Solution
"Formatting" and "Deleting" partitions are COMPLETELY different things. When you are on the custom screen during the Windows installation OR it can be done using a partition management application like Gparted, you must DELETE, NOT format, all of the existing partitions (Or at least the extra hidden Windows boot and EFI partitions if you are using a partition manager and just trying to remove the extra partitions rather than doing it the right way by starting over again and making sure the drive is completely free of ANY partitions at all) and then install to the UNALLOCATED space.

I would reinstall Windows, but before I did that I would disconnect ALL drives except the drive the OS is installed on and see if you still have the same...
By "checking" your drive do you mean you used a partition management application to look for the hidden boot and EFI partitions that were left behind by Windows 10, because I'm quite sure that when you installed Windows 10 it is very likely you didn't do it correctly by choosing the custom option and then deleting ALL of the existing partitions on the drive. Because if you had, there wouldn't BE anything for the system to ask you about in regard to Windows 10.

So, what you need to do is reinstall Windows 7, and follow THIS guide STEP BY STEP. Do not skip ANY steps thinking you know better than the guide. Every step is there for a specific reason.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

IF, IF, that is EXACTLY how you did it, and you DID delete ALL existing partitions on the drive, not just the C: partition (Yes, there are more windows OS related partitions on EVERY installation, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, than just the C: partition where the actual operating system files are stored), and not just "formatting" the C: partition, then it's likely you have another drive attached to the system that has those boot and EFI partitions on them due to having been used as a boot drive for Windows at some point in the past. If that's the case, or even if there are unwanted partitions ON the primary boot device, you'll need to use a partition management application to find and remove those partitions on whichever drive they are on.

Furthermore, going from Windows 10 to windows 7 unless you are doing for reasons of not being able to use a legitimate activated version of Windows 10 because you don't actually have a qualifying product, is a really terrible idea. There are plenty of ways to bend Windows 10 to you will in terms of the desktop appearance, start menu, task bar and shell behavior while retaining the much better driver support, memory management, virtual memory management and other features of Windows 10 without stepping on your own, ahem, you know, just to do it.

User88

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

I format my PC just like given link, format all partition twice because that's me being over cautious.

The only reason why i choose to downgrade are:
1. The PC very old (own by company) with low spec.
2. Windows 10 is not original, can't update to latest build and very laggy.
3. My internet speed super slow to download windows 10 and only have windows 7 cd.

User88

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

My disk management didn't show anything weird
https://imgur.com/a/jy0vqKl[/img]]My disk management screenshot

Checked my boot option on msconfig. Why there's 2 windows 10? Is it because of downgrade and they stored boot option? I'm confuse
https://imgur.com/a/kUWNQaV[/img]]My boot option

**** EDIT ****
I've delete both windows 10 boot option, still the same when i restart and both back in msconfig boot option

User88

Commendable
Apr 10, 2017

Done that, still ask for option

"Formatting" and "Deleting" partitions are COMPLETELY different things. When you are on the custom screen during the Windows installation OR it can be done using a partition management application like Gparted, you must DELETE, NOT format, all of the existing partitions (Or at least the extra hidden Windows boot and EFI partitions if you are using a partition manager and just trying to remove the extra partitions rather than doing it the right way by starting over again and making sure the drive is completely free of ANY partitions at all) and then install to the UNALLOCATED space.

I would reinstall Windows, but before I did that I would disconnect ALL drives except the drive the OS is installed on and see if you still have the same problem. The partitions that are causing the problem might not even BE on the primary OS drive.

Solution