I have 2 installations of XPPro on hard drives C and E.
Dual boot works fine offering me drive C first or tabbing down to drive E.
Drive C is now failing and I want to change the order of bootup to Drive E
first so that I can connect a new drive C and then image from E to new C -
but can't get machine to boot up if I disconnect old C and replace with new
C as still looking for old C booting routine.
Any ideas please of how to change boot order?

cheers

If you have XP installed on the E drive (hopefully in the same default
folder name/location as on your old C drive) and...
If you can copy ntldr, io.sys and boot.ini from the old C to the root of E
(Other files may be required, maybe one of the pro's can tell us)
then temporarily make the current E the primary HDD C, and have those files
copied you may be able to boot.
Rejumper the E to be master (C), the old C as slave to theoretically make it
(E).
Once in Windows, image the old HDD as desired, make sure the proper files
are on the root of whatever drive you are making C.
Power down, rejumper drives to the proper master/slave configuration you
want, and see what happens.

--
A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
"Peter G" <peter@ducknospam.com> wrote in message
>I have 2 installations of XPPro on hard drives C and E.
> Dual boot works fine offering me drive C first or tabbing down to drive E.
> Drive C is now failing and I want to change the order of bootup to Drive E
> first so that I can connect a new drive C and then image from E to new C -
> but can't get machine to boot up if I disconnect old C and replace with
> new C as still looking for old C booting routine.
> Any ideas please of how to change boot order?
>
> cheers

Thanks for that - do I then have a problem if I connect back the old drive
E: - or will it be assigned a new letter - or maybe blow up?
your advice appreciated if you have a moment...

cheers

> It is showing properly. When you installed it, you installed it to
> drive E:. When you clone it to another drive, it remains as E:.

Andy

If the operating system you're running is on E:, then it's going to
assign another drive letter to the old drive.