[SOLVED] Dual boot questions.

Jun 11, 2019
So I’m going to attempt a dual boot setup and have a couple questions I couldn’t google answers to. Now I’m fairly new to Linux which I do like but have only played with on a old crappy laptop as a test subject. I’m planning to do a fresh install of windows first then Linux. So here are my questions.

1. I have 2 hard drives. One is 1tb the other is 3tb. I plan to install both os on the 1tb hdd. Is it possible to split the 3tb hdd in half so half can be accessed by widows the other by linux?

2. When installing Windows will it let me remove the recovery partition in my hdd? I can’t delete it even via cmd override. This hdd is the oem that came with my old machine I reused on this build. I was able to remove the oem partition already. I can physically remove the hdd and wipe it if needed so that’s not a big deal really would just save me some work

3. how well does Linux work on the x570 with ryzen 3000? is it even worth it?

4. Lastly my somewhat vague question. Is there anything else I should know before doing this?

Thank you in advance. Look forward to the responses

Solution
So I’m going to attempt a dual boot setup and have a couple questions I couldn’t google answers to. Now I’m fairly new to Linux which I do like but have only played with on a old crappy laptop as a test subject. I’m planning to do a fresh install of windows first then Linux. So here are my questions.

1. I have 2 hard drives. One is 1tb the other is 3tb. I plan to install both os on the 1tb hdd. Is it possible to split the 3tb hdd in half so half can be accessed by widows the other by linux?

2. When installing Windows will it let me remove the recovery partition in my hdd? I can’t delete it even via cmd override. This hdd is the oem that came with my old machine I reused on this build. I was able to remove the oem partition...

COLGeek

Cybernaut

2. When installing Windows will it let me remove the recovery partition in my hdd? I can’t delete it even via cmd override. This hdd is the oem that came with my old machine I reused on this build. I was able to remove the oem partition already. I can physically remove the hdd and wipe it if needed so that’s not a big deal really would just save me some work

3. how well does Linux work on the x570 with ryzen 3000? is it even worth it?

4. Lastly my somewhat vague question. Is there anything else I should know before doing this?

Thank you in advance. Look forward to the responses
Sure, you can set up partitions, as described, on both the 1TB and 3TB HDD.

Get Windows directly from MS and write to a USB drive. Perform the install with that and remove the recovery partition.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I am using Linux Mint 19.3 with a Ryzen 3200G and it works great. You should be fine with your hardware.

Solution

Wu-Zi-Mu

Honorable
Feb 20, 2016
  • Install Windows first, then Linux
  • You can wipe the recovery partition or simply wipe the drive in the Linux installer on a Linux live CD easily. The simplest way is to delete the partition table and create partitions anew
  • NTFS partitions can be used by both Linux and Windows, so you can partition the whole 3TB drive as NTFS. You can also use native Linux filesystems if you don't want Windows to recognize your partitions (although there are also ext2/3/4 drivers for Windows if you really want that), or want better performance
  • Linux works fine on anything, even old Win XP machines, so long as you don't use KDE. But your machine should run even KDE very fast
  • Start with a simple distro like Mint, Q4OS or Zorin. These are noob friendly and have good forum support. You can always install a different distro if this proves to be too limiting.
  • Give the distro a try by booting from a live CD or USB and use it for a few hours to check that all programs and drivers work on your PC before installing for real. There's a sea of distros out there and if one won't work out of the box, another will.

Jun 11, 2019
Well I got it figured. Fresh install of windows 10. Installed Linux mint cinnamon 19.3 I believe. Used 40gb for / 4gb swap area and the rest for home. Had to use cmd bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi to get the boot loader to work. But after a bit of googling and persistence it seems to all be working. Linux can access my second hdd and interact with those files not sure if that’s suppose to be like that. Like I said I’m pretty new to Linux so I’m sure there will be some trial and error and lots of googling. Thanks for the help!!