[SOLVED] Dual boot setup (both Win10): How do I format one Windows installation without getting rid of the other one?

Dec 28, 2019
Hello TH fellas, first time posting here after lurking for a while.

Unfortunately, lurking and searching for someone that had the same issue as me beforehand didn't yield any results, so I'll get straight to the point.

Currently, I have Win10 installed in a Kingston 250 GB SSD, and another on a 1 TB WD HDD. They were installed in that order.

Currently I'd like to format and re-install OS on the SSD, but last time I did that (deleting all partitions belonging to the SSD and reinstalling through a Win10 bootable usb), for whatever reason I lost my Win10 installation on the HDD.

I've no idea how or why it happened, but I had to reinstall Windows on both drives. Now, the HDD is chock full of data that I'd like to keep, and currently I have no other units to back it up and move it temporarily.

So, the question is: Is there a way to format and reinstall Windows 10 on the SSD, WITHOUT messing with the HDD whatsoever? Or am I just f*cked until I get a working internal/external drive to move data around?

Solution
Welcome to the forums.
I think the issues last time was the HDD was connected when installing windows. windows has a nasty habit of putting needed boot files on other drives. you get around this by unplugging the other drives when installing windows.
when you install or format make sure the only connected drive is the target drive.
for your case unplug the HDD from the power supply (while system is off of course) before installing windows to the SSD. then after windows is installed and updated you can connect (while off OFC) the HDD and boot to it using the motherboards boot manager.
take the needed drive out of the equations altogether.

now a word on grounding
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the...

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums.
I think the issues last time was the HDD was connected when installing windows. windows has a nasty habit of putting needed boot files on other drives. you get around this by unplugging the other drives when installing windows.
when you install or format make sure the only connected drive is the target drive.
for your case unplug the HDD from the power supply (while system is off of course) before installing windows to the SSD. then after windows is installed and updated you can connect (while off OFC) the HDD and boot to it using the motherboards boot manager.
take the needed drive out of the equations altogether.

now a word on grounding
Canned Grounding Rant-
shut down system and remove side panel. with the power cable plugged into the PSU touch a bare unpainted metal area of the case. (my favorite spot is an unpainted screw securing the PSU) once you have grounded yourself you can unplug the computers power cable from the PSU and can touch the system.
if you move your feet, or shuffle in your chair, plug in the cord, reground yourself and unplug again.
end canned rant-

Solution