[SOLVED] Dual Boot Storage

Nov 20, 2020
I have installed Ubuntu 20.10 along side Windows 10 Pro. I did this by dividing a NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD into two partitions. I also have a 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD installed for storage. What I want to know is, if it is possible for both of the OS's to be able to access all of the information on the drive, or do I need to partitions which can then only be used by a specific OS? That was my original plan, but then I though that if I placed music or photos on the hard drive, It might be nice to be able to access them from within both OS's.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bobb

Solution
I have installed Ubuntu 20.10 along side Windows 10 Pro. I did this by dividing a NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD into two partitions. I also have a 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD installed for storage. What I want to know is, if it is possible for both of the OS's to be able to access all of the information on the drive, or do I need to partitions which can then only be used by a specific OS? That was my original plan, but then I though that if I placed music or photos on the hard drive, It might be nice to be able to access them from within both OS's.

Bobb

The 3rd partition, that you want to use with both Windows and Ubuntu, must be an NTFS format partition.
However...

Endre

Reputable

Bobb

The 3rd partition, that you want to use with both Windows and Ubuntu, must be an NTFS format partition.
However, though Ubuntu can read the infos located onto that partition, you won’t be able to write files on that partition while being in Ubuntu.
For that, you’ll need NTFS-3G.
I’ll share a link that explains more about this:
https://www.howtoforge.com/ntfs_3g_ubuntu_feisty

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Solution