Dual Boot - Success ! (?)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thank you, Patti, <s>. I didn't dare go beyond that stage where it
suggests repairing the existing installation (after accepting EULA.)
Wasn't sure what happened next and couldn't afford to take a chance on
messing mine up.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
> > I inserted my W XP disk (it is an "upgrade disk"). Eventually, a
blue
> screen
> > with while lettering came up:
> >
> > Windows XP Home Edition Setup
> >
> > Welcome to Setup.
> >
> > This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to
run
> on your
> > computer.
> >
> > · To set up Windows XP now press ENTER
> >
> > · To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press
> >
> > · To quit without installing Windows XP, press F3
> >
> > I can not see a "Repair Installation" option - only the Recovery
Console.
> > When I press "R", the following screen appears:
> >
> > Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
> > The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery
functionality.
> > Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console, and restart the computer.
> >
> > 1: C:\WINDOWS
> >
> > Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
> > (To cancel, press ENTER)?
> >
> > At this point, I exited the program. I was afraid that going on
might
> overwrite
> > or upgrade my W98SE program which is on "C" (HD 0, partition 0)
> >
> > Should I try do do a full installation of W XP again instead? It
would
> taske
> > some time, but I've got the time . . . .
> >

> > John <><
> >
> > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).
>
> The Repair option which Gary is referring to does not show up on the
first
> Welcome to Setup menu. When you press ENTER for the option "To set up
> Windows XP now press ENTER" and then Press F8 to accept EULA. Setup
will now
> search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any,
it
> will display this screen:
>
> If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can
try to
> repair it.
> Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
> . To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
> . To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
press
> Esc.
>
> Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
> installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you
want to
> repair, press R.
>
> If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that
the
> repair option was not available.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

You're welcome :)

I waited a bit before horning in on your thread, as I realize that John is
in the midst of an ongoing "dialogue" with you, and I didn't want it to turn
into a "too many cooks spoil the broth" situation instead of a "two heads
are better than one" situation.

Fortunately, I have several "tutes" that I created during experimentation
saved to a "Format/Install/Repair Install" folder just for these occasions
<g>

As for the BING stuff, I'll leave that to you, as I have not yet
experimented with it (will probably be doing so when my new custom computer
arrives shortly, and I redo my current one to be the new experiment
computer).

Regards,

--

> [...]
> will now
> > search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any,
> it
> > will display this screen:
> >
> > If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can
> try to
> > repair it.
> > Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
> > . To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
> > . To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
> press
> > Esc.
> >
> > Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
> > installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you
> want to
> > repair, press R.
> >
> > If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:57:27 -0400, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

>You're welcome :)

Thanks so far, Patti and Gary (not in order of importance, but I betcha that
Patti is the better-looking one):

I followed your instructions, Gary - using the detai;ed instructions you gave
me, Patti.
Things are looking up - I can boot to both OS'd from both menus now (I think).

Just playing with it a bit before I report back to you (which I will do).

Really appreciate the time and interest y'all (my plural for "you" ever since I
spent my winters in Florida) are taking in my problems.

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

No problem, and believe *me* Patti is the better-looking!
Gary:
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AE162829-C413-4E59-8C6F-9415EEB3201A
Patti:
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=81678899-98bc-45a3-a65f-b219b1bd7776

So, you still get the Windows XP boot menu when you choose Windows 98 in
BING, right? And then you can choose either OS? Do you get the XP Boot
menu when you choose Windows XP in BING? Or does it go straight through?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 13:37:57 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>No problem, and believe *me* Patti is the better-looking!
>Gary:
>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=AE162829-C413-4E59-8C6F-9415EEB3201A
>Patti:
>https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile=81678899-98bc-45a3-a65f-b219b1bd7776
>
>So, you still get the Windows XP boot menu when you choose Windows 98 in
>BING, right? And then you can choose either OS? Do you get the XP Boot
>menu when you choose Windows XP in BING? Or does it go straight through?

OK guys, this is where it's at right now:

On boot-up, I get the BING menu - two lines:

Windows 98SE
Windows XP

I found that there are boot.ini files in both the W98 and W-XP partitions.

Choosing Windows 98SE brings a windows menu - also two lines:

Windows 98SE (default)
Windows XP

Choosing either one of those will boot the corresponding OS

Choosing Windows XP (from the BING menu) also brings a windows menu - also two
lines:
Windows XP (default)
Windows 98SE

Choosing Windows XP boots that OS
Choosing Windows 98 gives the following error message:

"This partition does not contain an operating system.
If you are about to install an new OS, insert the installation diskette into
Drive "A".
Press any key to run the BIOS bootstrap loader"

In both of the boot.ini files, I set the time-out to 1 (one) second,
so it zips right through them.
In the BING menu, I set the time-out to three seconds.
It defaults to the item used the last time.

Normally, I use W 98SE - so I just boot up the computer, let it do it's things,
and W98 is ready.

When I want W XP, I just select it in the BING menu, and up it comes.

As far as I am concerned, this is almost perfect - not sure if I want to tweak
it further - although I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks to all who helped!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"

That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.

If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
BING's menu, then do the following:

At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:

sys c:

Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
>C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
>
>That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
>to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
>you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.
>
>If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
>BING's menu, then do the following:
>
>At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
>the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
>cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:
>
>sys c:
>
>Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
>works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.

Thanks, Gary - I did the above, and it all worked just as you said it would.

Thanks a whole lot (and also to all other who helped out) for getting me this
far.

BTW, would you recommenf the alt.windows-xp as a good forum to ask questions
about Windows XP, or is there a better one?
I'm not impressed with the language of some people on that group - however if it
is otherwise useful, I can easily ignore certain posts.

Thanks again, all!

> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:10 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org>
wrote:

> >Edit the Boot.ini file on the XP side to get rid of the line that says:
> >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
> >
> >That will get rid of the option to boot Win98 when you use BING to boot
> >to XP. It will also, I believe, get rid of the menu altogether, though
> >you may have already achieved that with timeout=0.
> >
> >If you want to get rid of the boot menu after you've chosen Win98 at
> >BING's menu, then do the following:
> >
> >At the BING menu, insert the Windows Startup floppy disk, then click on
> >the Win98 choice (just to highlight it) then press Alt-S. This will
> >cause it to boot to the floppy drive. At the A:\> prompt, type:
> >
> >sys c:
> >
> >Remove the floppy disk, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart. Assuming this
> >works, you can then delete boot.ini and ntloader on the Win98 side.
>
> Thanks, Gary - I did the above, and it all worked just as you said it
would.

> Thanks a whole lot (and also to all other who helped out) for getting me
this
> far.
>
> BTW, would you recommenf the alt.windows-xp as a good forum to ask
questions
> about Windows XP, or is there a better one?
> I'm not impressed with the language of some people on that group - however
if it
> is otherwise useful, I can easily ignore certain posts.
>
> Thanks again, all!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

You're very welcome, John! :)

Glad to hear that all seems to be working well, now.

There's a number of microsoft.public.winxp groups to which you could post
your XP questions, such as:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize
microsoft.public.windowsxp.games
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

to name a few <g>

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

What she said! Though I hear that windowsxp.general can be zoo-like and
prone to troll attacks--just like this one was five years ago, <g>.

--

> What she said!

;-)

>Though I hear that windowsxp.general can be zoo-like and
> prone to troll attacks--just like this one was five years ago, <g>.

I think Dan exaggerates a bit <g>.......the conduct of a few in
windowsxp.general absolutely PALES in comparison to the posters in the alt
newsgroups.

> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

I wouldn't know what Dan says, I blocked him a while back, <s>.

Yeah, I'd have to agree there's no comparison with Alt NGs, but with
that kind of traffic, windowsxp.general has got to be intimidating for
new users... Which is why there's a windowsxp.newusers group, I guess,
;<)