Dual Boot - Success ! (?)

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Hello there:

First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed me.
A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.

Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my choice.
The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I thought.

Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure there's another
forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?

My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears and asks
me which system I want to use. GOOD!
Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just white text on
a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows XP being
the default, with a 30 second time-out.

Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?

I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.

Thanks again to all who helped me!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has installed
the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Hello there:
>
> First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed
me.
> A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.
>
> Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my
choice.
> The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I
thought.

> Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure
there's another
> forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?
>
> My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears
and asks
> me which system I want to use. GOOD!
> Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just
white text on
> a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows
XP being
> the default, with a 30 second time-out.
>
> Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?
>
> I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
>
> Thanks again to all who helped me!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:53:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
>OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has installed
>the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
>called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?

Well, success is at times short-lived.
I found "boot.ini" in the root directory of the "C" drive, where W98SE
is resident.
I deleted it (iow, it went to the recycle bin).
Guess what - now nothing will boot.

The BING menu gives me the choice of W98 or Win XP.
When I select W98, it tells me
Invalid boot.ini file.Booting from C:\windows\
It then goes to the next message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Mu old lap-top (W98SE) has no hal.dll file anywhere.
I copied it from my wife's XP machine, and, using an emergency
start-up disk copied it to the system32 folder in the WindowsXP
folder.

Still won't boot.

When I try to boot from the BING menu by selecting Windows XP, the
following message comes up:
This partition does not contain an operating system.
If you're about to install a new OS, then insert the installation
diskette into Drive A:
Press any key to run the BIOS bootstarp loader.
When I press "any key" it goes back to the BING start-up menu.

How can I retrieve the boot.ini file from the recycle bin using an
emergency start-up disk?

Or can I?

Any help is appreciated.

Yes, if you are certain that boot.ini ended up in the Recycle Bin, boot
to a Windows Emergency Boot (Startup) floppy disk. then run the
following commands (pay attention to spaces in these commands.):

attrib -s -h c:\recycled\boot.ini
copy c:\recycled\boot.ini c:\boot.ini
attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini

Then pop out the floppy and restart using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Yeah, I didn't want you to do anything, just tell me what you saw, <s>.
When you get back to being able to boot, we can fix things. My mistake
in the directions I gave you. I should have known better, but it's one
of those things that acts differently from system to system. Two ways to
go about this, but let's get to that after you've restored boot.ini.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:53:26 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >That second boot manager is the one installed by Windows XP. Are both
> >OSes offered? It would appear that despite our efforts, XP has
installed
> >the boot manager to the WIn98 side. Look in the Win98 side for a file
> >called C:\boot.ini. Is it there? Or is it on the XP side?
>
> Well, success is at times short-lived.
> I found "boot.ini" in the root directory of the "C" drive, where W98SE
> is resident.
> I deleted it (iow, it went to the recycle bin).
> Guess what - now nothing will boot.
>
> The BING menu gives me the choice of W98 or Win XP.
> When I select W98, it tells me
> Invalid boot.ini file.Booting from C:\windows\
> It then goes to the next message:
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
> Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
>
> Mu old lap-top (W98SE) has no hal.dll file anywhere.
> I copied it from my wife's XP machine, and, using an emergency
> start-up disk copied it to the system32 folder in the WindowsXP
> folder.
>
> Still won't boot.
>
> When I try to boot from the BING menu by selecting Windows XP, the
> following message comes up:
> This partition does not contain an operating system.
> If you're about to install a new OS, then insert the installation
> diskette into Drive A:
> Press any key to run the BIOS bootstarp loader.
> When I press "any key" it goes back to the BING start-up menu.
>
> How can I retrieve the boot.ini file from the recycle bin using an
> emergency start-up disk?
>
> Or can I?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:03:43 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Yes, if you are certain that boot.ini ended up in the Recycle Bin, boot
>to a Windows Emergency Boot (Startup) floppy disk. then run the
>following commands (pay attention to spaces in these commands.):
>
>attrib -s -h c:\recycled\boot.ini
>copy c:\recycled\boot.ini c:\boot.ini
>attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini
>
>Then pop out the floppy and restart using Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I guess I shouldn't have been so certain, 'cause it isn't there (at
least, I can't see it. I do see two other files there, along with the
..

>Yeah, I didn't want you to do anything, just tell me what you saw, <s>.

Well, you know: Fools rush in . . . . . .Perhaps, this is the time to
totally start from scratch - re-install W 98SE, then try again with
Windows XP

It'll take a day or two, but what the heck - I'm retired . . .

You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
98 startup, let it fail, then insert the Windows 98 Startup disk and run
this command:

edit c:\boot.ini

Then type in the following six lines:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

Now press Alt-F-S, then Alt-F-X. Run the following command:

attrib +s +h c:\boot.ini

Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

John wrote:
> Hello there:

> I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
>
> Thanks again to all who helped me!

Hi!
Seems that you re-invented the wheel.
When using BING you should be able to have two independent OS's.
What you describe is the "vanilla" installation of XP on a system that
has 98 and it creates the "white on black" menu choices.
So "Da capo al fine" --> from start.

Have fun.

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
>really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
"system32" in the W
Done.

>Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
>the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022

Windows XP is starting OK

When I try to start W98, an error message says:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
"system32" in the W98 folder.

Next try, it tells me:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
"system32" in the W98 folder.

BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
begin with. But, what do I know . . . .

Trying again, the error message now is:
Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLL's for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

Sorry, John, but it's getting late after a long day. I'll reply in the
AM with some details on how to recover the entire setup.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If
it
> >really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the
Windows
> "system32" in the W
> Done.
> >
> >Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always
choose
> >the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini
file:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
>
> Windows XP is starting OK
>
> When I try to start W98, an error message says:
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
> Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
> So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
> "system32" in the W98 folder.
>
> Next try, it tells me:
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
> Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
> So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
> "system32" in the W98 folder.
>
> BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
> begin with. But, what do I know . . . .
>
> Trying again, the error message now is:
> Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
> Please report this problem as :
> load needed DLL's for kernel.
> Please contact your support person to report this problem.
>
> Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
> And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect) used
to define its path in the boot.ini file.

Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type this
in:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"JN" <jn@jn.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:08:09 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
> <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >You won't see the file until you run at least the ATTRIB command. If it
> >really isn't there, you can create one. Use BING to choose the Windows
> "system32" in the W
> Done.
> >
> >Remove the floppy drive and restart. For the moment, just always choose
> >the Windows 98 option in BING. See here for more on the boot.ini file:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289022
>
> Windows XP is starting OK
>
> When I try to start W98, an error message says:
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
> Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
> So, I copied that file from "system32" in the W XP folder to
> "system32" in the W98 folder.
>
> Next try, it tells me:
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or
> corrupt:
> <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.dll.
> Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
> So, I copied that file also from "system32" in the W XP folder to
> "system32" in the W98 folder.
>
> BTW, I did not think these two files were in Windows98\system32 to
> begin with. But, what do I know . . . .
>
> Trying again, the error message now is:
> Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
> Please report this problem as :
> load needed DLL's for kernel.
> Please contact your support person to report this problem.
>
> Well, at least I have Windows XP going again.
> And having this old lap-top sure came in handy.

The way I'm used installing separate OSes, when a third party boot manager
is used, is to hide the already existing OS partition before installing any
subsequent OS. This partition hiding is normally done either with the boot
manager itself, or a third party partitioning software. The boot manager
should be able to locate the next installed OS after completing the new OS
install. In some cases, the boot manager may have to be reinstalled after
the subsequent OS installation because of sector zero, physical hard drive
boot sector, MBR overwrite.

What you did, it appears, is install a third party boot manager, and windows
98. Then you installed wndows XP without hiding the already existing
windows 98 installation, and selected dual boot option during the XP
install. That's why you have two (2) sequential boot options. In either
case, BING will select the boot.ini file in the boot partition to boot from.
The remaining menu choice is the result of the XP installation and the lack
of hiding the windows 98 partition. XP will always put the boot files in
the first ACTIVE, primary partition, otherwise known as the C: drive. In
this case, because you failed to hide the windows 98 partition, these XP
boot files were place in the windows 98 partiition.

XP's dual boot option is sourced from a file in the ACTIVE, primary
partition, otherwise known as the C: drive. Most third boot managers place
their boot file in the MBR area or sector zero of the hard drive. The
latter will be seen first by the PC when turning on the PC or rebooting the
PC. Thus for the sequence of BING menu, then XP's dual boot option. In
summary, the PC looks at the MBR, sector zero of the hard drive first.
Normally the MBR points to the first active primary partition for boot
files. The third party boot manager intercepts this process at the MBR. Do
not confuse the MBR with a partition boot area, they are different animals.

The fix.
Leave the boot.in file deleted. You don't need it for BING, and a separate
XP OS install on another partition. Do a "sys c:" from a 98 startup
diskette. That should get you into windows 98 from BING upon reboot. You
may have to force BING to remove the current 98 selection, and redetect it.
It should only show windows 98 as the only choice at that time.

Next:
Hide the 98 partition, delete the remaining partition entirely. Do a clean
install of XP, tell XP to install in remaining space on the hard drive It
will make an NTFS partition. You may have to reinstall BING, and detect the
OS installations with BING. Be sure to hide windows 98 partition from XP if
you so desire, if that option is available in BING. You won't have to do
the reverse, hide XP if its a NTFS partition, as win98 doesn't natively
understand NTFS.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:09:49 -0500, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

>I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
>with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect) used
>to define its path in the boot.ini file.
>
>Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type this
>in:
>
>[boot loader]
>timeout=30
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>[operating systems]
>C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
>

>Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
>

>Regards,

Thanks, Patti.

I created a boot.ini file using your "text".

When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
Microsoft Windows 98
Windows XP
Windows (default).

Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
"Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as :
load needed DLL's for kernel.
Please contact your support person to report this problem."

I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you can guide
me through getting rid of the one menu.
Think I'd like to keep the BING one.

Thanks so much, all!

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

I think L'il Dave is on the right track. Patti came real close to
repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu, except for the "default"
line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read, but since we
want to get rid of it altogether, we can ignore it (well, it's not
actually true that we'll get rid of it--it will get installed on the XP
side, but you won't normally see it and it will only boot Windows XP, as
if WinXP were the only OS on the system.)

1. Boot to the Windows 98 system, then insert a Windows 98 startup
floppy disk and restart. At the A:\ prompt, run:

sys c:

Remove the floppy disk, restart, use BING to boot to Windows 98. Does
that work?

2. Restart and when you get to BING, drop into Maintenance. Choose "Boot
Edit". Select the Windows XP entry and then Edit. In the box that pops
up, on the left it should show whatever label you chose as "Identity"
and it should show your WinXP partition in the "Boot" selection. In the
"MBR Details" pane, make sure everything except the Windows XP partition
is "Hidden". Click OK, then OK again (should have you back at
Maintenance desktop.) Click "Resume", choose Windows XP and go. This
startup should fail.

3. Insert the Windows XP installation CD and restart. When you get to
the option of a "Recovery Console", choose that. (Press 'R'). Once you
get to the Recovery Console (may need a password), run the following
command:

fixboot

Then use EXIT command, remove the XP CD and restart. I *think* this will
fix everything. You'll have some extra files on the Windows 98 side
(boot.ini, ntloader and those files you copied to \system32\.) You can
leave them or try renaming them (first), testing that everything is OK
before deleting them. There will also be some Hidden folders named
"System Volume Information" that you can delete (on the partitions that
you've hidden from XP) and perhaps a few others, but they're an affront
to aesthetics, nothing more.

Be sure you go to Windows Updates after it's all fixed and install all
updates. I forget if you mentioned if this new copy of XP you have
already has Service Pack 2, but if not, that's the first update you
want.

Sorry I screwed this up so badly. I knew there was an issue with *how*
you hide partitions in BING, but part of it has to do, I think, with
whether BING is installed or not. If it's not installed, I think hiding
the partitions in Partition Work will hide the partition from WinXP. But
when BING is installed to the HD, and the BING partition is made Active,
then you have to use the Boot Menu to hide partitions you don't want XP
to see. I just haven't done enough of this stuff, recently, for it to
stick--my short term memory has been going downhill quickly over the
last couple of years.

Brings me to one more point: When you installed BING, did you create a
small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
Win98 partition? If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
it, telling it to create its own partition.

--

<pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

> >I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the
problem
> >with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect)
used
> >to define its path in the boot.ini file.
> >
> >Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but
type this
> >in:
> >
> >[boot loader]
> >timeout=30
> >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> >[operating systems]
> >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
> >

> >Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
> >

> >Regards,
>
> Thanks, Patti.
>
> I created a boot.ini file using your "text".
>
> When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
> Microsoft Windows 98
> Windows XP
> Windows (default).
>
> Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
> Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
> "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
> Please report this problem as :
> load needed DLL's for kernel.
> Please contact your support person to report this problem."
>
> I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you
can guide
> me through getting rid of the one menu.
> Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
>
> Thanks so much, all!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

I'm thinking there's a flaw in the procedure to SYS C:, that it will
deactivate BING. So, if after doing the SYS C: procedure, the system
boots straight to Windows 98, without going to the BING boot menu first,
you can simply restart with the BING install floppy disk inserted, then
"Reactivate".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> >
> > When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
> > Microsoft Windows 98
> > Windows XP
> > Windows (default).
> >
> > Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
> > Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
> > "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
> > Please report this problem as :
> > load needed DLL's for kernel.
> > Please contact your support person to report this problem."
> >
> > I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time
you
> can guide
> > me through getting rid of the one menu.
> > Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
> >
> > Thanks so much, all!
> >
> > John <><
> >
> > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

Oooops.......guess I shoulda had more coffee before I posted that boot.ini
file, which should have looked more like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=C:\
[operating systems]
C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect

But since you are able to boot into 98 now, you could leave it as is, like
you said.

I know that your ultimate goal is to get rid of XP's boot.ini and use BING's
boot manager. Lil' Dave has posted one method. Another method (which I have
done, using Partition Magic and its boot manager, Boot Magic.....I have not
used BING) is to use BING to delete the XP partition then to create a new
partition in the unallocated space, make it the active partition and format
it FAT32 for the install of WIN9x OS . Boot from the WIN98 startup disk
(format the second partition if that option is not available in BING) and
install WIN98. Once the second WIN98 is installed, do an upgrade install of
XP.......this will place the boot.ini file, referencing only the XP
partition, on the second partition and not the first.

Before performing the deletion of the XP partition, etc., do as Lil' Dave
posted in his first paragraph under "The fix." and run sys c: from the WIN98
startup disk.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 02:09:49 -0500, "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca>
wrote:

> >I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time <g>), but I think the problem
> >with WIN98 not being "bootable" is due to the ARC path (i.e.,
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows 98" /fastdetect)
used
> >to define its path in the boot.ini file.
> >
> >Use Gary's previous instructions to create the boot.ini file, but type
this
> >in:
> >
> >[boot loader]
> >timeout=30
> >default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
> >[operating systems]
> >C:\="Microsoft Windows 98"
> >multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP" /fastdetect
> >

> >Then follow the remainder of Gary's instructions in that post.
> >

> >Regards,
>
> Thanks, Patti.
>
> I created a boot.ini file using your "text".
>
> When installed, it presents me with three-line menu:
> Microsoft Windows 98
> Windows XP
> Windows (default).
>
> Clicking on one of the first two will boot that OS
> Clicking on "Windows Default" gives me an error message.
> "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
> Please report this problem as :
> load needed DLL's for kernel.
> Please contact your support person to report this problem."
>
> I'll leave it like this for now - perhaps, Gary, if you have time you can
guide
> me through getting rid of the one menu.
> Think I'd like to keep the BING one.
>
> Thanks so much, all!
>
> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

<snip>
Patti came real close to repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu, except
for the "default"
line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read
<snip>
I corrected it in my second post. Still can't believe I missed it in my
original post, but no harm done.

btw, Happy Belated Birthday, Gary!

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Yeah, I saw, <s>. And I think you have it, though I can't test right
now. My daughter has yet to move her rebuilt Dell back into her room
from my living-room KVM repair station, so I'm short my usual test
station, plus I had to temporarily deed my second box to my wife to
replace *her* system--there was a rash of serious hardware problems in
March, both in this household and in several others around town--suspect
some malware was at least partially to blame. Of course, daughter's
excuse is that we're in the middle of a long, drawn out process of
moving from this house to a new one up the street, and her room is
currently inaccessible. But then, it's *usually* that way!

Still, John's goal is to separate the two systems entirely.

And thanks!

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> <snip>
> Patti came real close to repairing the standard Windows XP boot menu,
except
> for the "default"
> line. Not absolutely certain how that's supposed to read
> <snip>
> I corrected it in my second post. Still can't believe I missed it in
my
> original post, but no harm done.
>
> btw, Happy Belated Birthday, Gary!
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

LOL!! Sounds kinda like my current situation ....... my test rig, on which I
could double-check the boot.ini file (as it's running WIN9x and XP) is
currently out of the picture, as I'm working on doing a system rebuild of a
friend's laptop, so the laptop has taken my rig's place on the workbench.

And I do understand John's ultimate goal of separating the two OSes. I was
able to achieve the separation of 9x and NT-style, using BootMagic for boot
manager, by doing an upgrade of the NT-style OS on a 9x partition. If there
is a method of achieving that without having to delete John's XP partition
and thus have to format/reinstall XP (and, perhaps, 9x and then XP) that
would be great. Unfortunately, being unable to currently use my test rig, I
cannot experiment with how to do that using BING in order to give him a good
"step-by-step".

And now I must prepare myself for the afternoon shift at my place of
employment.

Have a great day!

Regards,

--

> [...]
> diskette. That should get you into windows 98 from BING upon reboot. You
> may have to force BING to remove the current 98 selection, and redetect
it.
> It should only show windows 98 as the only choice at that time.
>
> Next:
> Hide the 98 partition, delete the remaining partition entirely. Do a
clean
> install of XP, tell XP to install in remaining space on the hard drive It
> will make an NTFS partition. You may have to reinstall BING, and detect
the
> OS installations with BING. Be sure to hide windows 98 partition from XP
if
> you so desire, if that option is available in BING. You won't have to do
> the reverse, hide XP if its a NTFS partition, as win98 doesn't natively

keep it fat 32 unless you have state secrets.
your 'home pc-ing' will be a much better experience if
both o/s's are fat32.
trust me, you will thank me.

froggy

> "John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> > Hello there:
> >
> > First: Thanks to all who have helped me, encouraged me, and informed
me.
> > A special thanks to Gary Terhune for holding my hand as I went along.
> >
> > Early this morning, I was able to boot to either W 98SE or W XP - my
> choice.
> > The installation went easier than I thought, and took longer than I
> thought.
> >
> > Now, there will be Windows XP questions (possibly), but I'm sure there's
> another
> > forum for that. Any you monitor, Gary?
> >
> > My question at this time is: while booting up, the BING menu appears
and
> asks
> > me which system I want to use. GOOD!
> > Then, regrdless which system I choose, another (DOS? Windows? just white
> text on
> > a black background) menu comes up, asking the same question, Windows XP
> being
> > the default, with a 30 second time-out.
> >
> > Is there a way to hide, disable or remove the second menu?
> >
> > I plan to keep BING, and don't need both options.
> >
> > Thanks again to all who helped me!
> >
> > John <><
> >
> > A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> > with an other monkey's monkey.
> > (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 00:39:47 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:

Thanks, Gary, Patti, Lil' Dave, and froggy for all your input.

Right now, I can boot both systems, although I still have the two sequential
boot menus.

I've printed it all your input; will read it all (at least twice) and see how
things go.

BTW, Patti, the second "text" you gave me for the boot.ini file works like a
charm.

And Gary: You asked;
> When you installed BING, did you create a
>small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
>Win98 partition?

I did the latter

>If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
>shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
>it, telling it to create its own partition.

Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.
You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you crying
again because I have another big problem.

Thank you all for now. I'll report back.

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

If you don't have success with my latest procedures, I promise to set up
a test machine to figure it all out, <s>.

--

John wrote:

> Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.
> You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you crying
> again because I have another big problem.

Don't apologise, we all remember the teething problems of computer usage.
They fade into insignificance in short time.
(the time is even shorter if you are brave enough to ask)

Have fun

Stanislaw
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 00:39:47 +0930, "froggy" <frog@croaking.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, Gary, Patti, Lil' Dave, and froggy for all your input.

You're most welcome for the input!

> Right now, I can boot both systems, although I still have the two
sequential
> boot menus.
>
> I've printed it all your input; will read it all (at least twice) and see
how
> things go.
>
> BTW, Patti, the second "text" you gave me for the boot.ini file works like
> charm.

Glad to hear it :) Sorry about the messup the first time 'round.

> And Gary: You asked;
> > When you installed BING, did you create a
> >small, 8 MB partition for BING, or did you install it to the existing
> >Win98 partition?
>
> I did the latter
>
> >If the latter, I suggest you use Partition Work to
> >shrink the last partition on HD0 by 8 MB, uninstall BING, then reinstall
> >it, telling it to create its own partition.
>
> Just hope I don't screw things up again while working on the machine.

That's how a lot of us have learned, though, by messing up and then
attempting to clean up the mess <g>

> You folks ahve been wonderfully helpful, but I hate to keep coming to you
crying
> again because I have another big problem.

That's why we frequent these newsgroups, though.......to assist people with
their computer problems. If it weren't for these problems, we'd be out of a
"job", so to speak.

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 23:28:18 -0700, "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>I think you'd be better off with a "Normal Boot Menu", not the "Direct
>Boot Menu". The option is in BING Settings. Drop into Maintenance, click
>on "Settings", then uncheck *both* "Direct Boot Menu" and "Display DB
>Button." Click OK.

Done

>Now click "Resume" to get the Normal Boot Menu. Click on the
>"Windows98SE" item to highlight it, then click "Edit". In the right-hand
>pane of the next window, your Win98 partition should be the top item in
>the large pane. It should also be the item that shows in the "Boot" item
>at left. The WinXP partition should be next in the list. Click on that
>and then click "Hide". If the BootIt EMBRM is listed, do the same. Leave
>the "Data" partition on HD1 alone. Click OK, which will take you back to
>the "Boot Menu".

Done

>Next, click on the Windows XP item in the "Boot Menu" and then click
>Edit. This time, Hide the Win98 partition, leave the WinXP partition
>unhidden, Hide the EMBRL partition and do what you wish with the Data
>partition--Hide it if you don't want it visible to the Windows XP
>system. Click OK.

Done

>Back at the Boot Menu, make sure there are no floppies inserted, insert
>the Windows XP installation CD, then select the Windows XP item, then
>press Alt-S. This should boot to the CD. You want to go through the
>menus until it suggests that you can do a Repair installation--not the
>Repair Console option, which comes first. The option will be to repair
>this installation or to install a completely new copy. The sequence is:
>1. Press any key to boot from CD.
>2. Press <Enter> to continue.
>3. Press F8 to accept EULA.
>4. Press 'R' to Repair the installation that has been detected.

I was unable to complete the above suggestions ( 1 - 4 )
I inserted my W XP disk (it is an "upgrade disk"). Eventually, a blue screen
with while lettering came up:

Windows XP Home Edition Setup

Welcome to Setup.

This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run on your
computer.

· To set up Windows XP now press ENTER

· To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R

· To quit without installing Windows XP, press F3

I can not see a "Repair Installation" option - only the Recovery Console.
When I press "R", the following screen appears:

Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console, and restart the computer.

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)?

At this point, I exited the program. I was afraid that going on might overwrite
or upgrade my W98SE program which is on "C" (HD 0, partition 0)

Should I try do do a full installation of W XP again instead? It would taske
some time, but I've got the time . . . .

John <><

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
with an other monkey's monkey.
(A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

"John" <nospam@nospam.ca> wrote in message
<snip>

> I inserted my W XP disk (it is an "upgrade disk"). Eventually, a blue
screen
> with while lettering came up:
>
> Windows XP Home Edition Setup
>
> Welcome to Setup.
>
> This portion of the setup program prepares Microsoft® Windows® XP to run
on your
> computer.
>
> · To set up Windows XP now press ENTER
>
> · To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R
>
> · To quit without installing Windows XP, press F3
>
> I can not see a "Repair Installation" option - only the Recovery Console.
> When I press "R", the following screen appears:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP (TM) Recovery Console
> The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
> Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console, and restart the computer.
>
> 1: C:\WINDOWS
>
> Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
> (To cancel, press ENTER)?
>
> At this point, I exited the program. I was afraid that going on might
overwrite
> or upgrade my W98SE program which is on "C" (HD 0, partition 0)
>
> Should I try do do a full installation of W XP again instead? It would
taske
> some time, but I've got the time . . . .
>

> John <><
>
> A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey
> with an other monkey's monkey.
> (A very free paraphrase of Exodus 20:14).

The Repair option which Gary is referring to does not show up on the first
Welcome to Setup menu. When you press ENTER for the option "To set up
Windows XP now press ENTER" and then Press F8 to accept EULA. Setup will now
search for previous installations of Windows XP, and if it finds any, it
will display this screen:

If one of the following Windows XP installation is damaged, Setup can try to
repair it.
Use the Up and DOWN ARROW keys to select an installation.
.. To repair the selected Windows XP installation, press R.
.. To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing, press
Esc.

Beneath this, there will be highlighted the path to the previous
installation of Windows XP. If this is the XP installation that you want to
repair, press R.

If you do NOT see this repair option, exit Setup and let us know that the
repair option was not available.

Regards,