Dual-boot Troubleshooting

Multisupermono

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hi, i installed Ubuntu a couple weeks ago on a dual-boot with windows 7 and for some reason when i would reboot my computer it would say that no hard drive was found. So, I wait about 30 minutes and turn it back on and it would show me the screen to choose which one i would want to boot on. Then, I thought that deleting Ubuntu would fix the problem. But me...not knowing scratch about computers just went to the hard drive partition that i made and deleted all the files. Now, i only have windows, but I still have to wait 20-30 minutes to boot windows 7, and to make matters worse windows is much slower than it was before. I also did a memory check, and a hard drive check and passed both of them. Any ideas?

Solution

Check your BIOS settings...

Dr_JRE

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012

Check your BIOS settings and make sure the primary hard drive is the first thing it checks when it boots. Make sure Quickboot is enabled. You might want to turn off quiet boot so you can watch the boot process and see where it is hanging up at.

Make sure disk caching is enabled in Win7
Right Click Computer -> Manage -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Right click on your hard drive and select Properties -> Policy Tab -> Make sure Disk Caching is enabled and the option for Turn Off Windows Write Cache Buffering is disabled.

Now, lets try removing linux;

1) Download Linux Live USB Creator (Lili) @ http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/download

Kubuntu would be easier for this task than Ubuntu. Kubuntu can be downloaded @ http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

2) Using Lili, follow steps 1 ~ 3

selecting the USB drive to boot from (you can burn to CD / DVD if you prefer), Persistence is not required for this task, but you can create a persistence file if you wish (this will enable you to install software and save files to the USB), I would recommend formatting a flash drive that is 4GB or less with FAT in Windows. (Fat32 is much slower) You can remove the checkmark for Enable Launching Linux Live in Windows if you want, but with that option, you can try linux in the future without making any changes to the computer.

3) Boot the computer using your Live linux CD / DVD / USB.

(You may need to reconfigure BIOS Setup options for boot device priority.)

4) Once loaded, Select "Try Kubuntu" Then in the Kickoff menu ("Start menu") go to Applications -> System -> Partition Manager

5) Use partition manager to delete the Linux partitions and resize the Windows partition to fill the drive. Click Apply

You are now done with the Live Linux and can shut down the computer.

6) To remove Grub and restore the original Windows bootloader, insert your Win7 disk and boot the computer. Once given the option, Select Repair your computer. We do not want to re-install windows, we just want to run the startup repair. This should erase the Linux bootloader and replace it with the windows bootstrap.

If all else fails, use the windows disk to erase all partitions, reformat, and re-install. but before you go that far out, you should run a disk diagnostic on your drive, it could be having hardware problems. diagnostics can be downloaded from the manufacturers website.

Solution

Multisupermono

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Thank you so much for answering my question! all though it turns out that it was actually my hard drive. It wasn't even spinning! So i got a new one and all my problems are gone and everything works fine. Again thank you for your help!