Dual Boot Ubuntu next to current Win7 Install error hibernation

rarablue

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am attempting to install ubuntu on my ssd which currently holds my Win7 OS partition. I shrunk the Win7 partition and made a new 25GB partition for Ubuntu. I burned an .iso image of Ubuntu onto a freshly formatted usb drive and booted from this drive. When I launch a live session of ubuntu or attempt to install I get the typical purple loading screen. When I press esc at this screen I can read the following error messages:

"Windows is hibernated, refused to mount.

Failed to mount '/dev/sdb3': Operation not permitted

The NTFS partition is in an unsafe state. Please resume and shutdown Windows fully (no hibernation or fast restarting), or mount the volume read-only with the 'ro' mount operation.

mount: mounting /dev/sdb23 on /cdrom failed: No such device [ ] Buffer I/O error on dev sdd, logical block ######"

This is repeated a bunch of times for different serial ports until it ends and I have to restart the machine. One thing I notice now after writing this up is that it seems to be attempting to mount to /cdrom which doesn't seem right. Maybe this is part of the problem?

I tried shutting down Windows in a variety of ways and also disabled fastboot in the BIOS as per instructions on an Ubuntu forum. After no success some members of the forum directed me here.

I have 2 other drives which previously held Windows operating systems as they were used in old computers. I currently use them as data drives and never wiped them. Could these drives be interfering with the .iso image? I can post screenshots of my partition wizard to show what my setup looks like if that would be helpful.

Anyone more experienced think they can provide help? Thank you

Solution

Hi again, I wanted to avoid disconnecting the drives as it would require me opening the case and fiddling around with the hardware. I attempted...

rarablue

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Hi Paul,

I first tried the Universal USB Installer and after that didn't work I tried Rufus which is the program I am currently using. I'm in the middle of trying a different version iso as I type this (17 vs 16) and also noticed the option to write as a DD which I have yet to try but was considering if this attempt fails.
Update : Using version 17 of ubuntu iso didn't work. I'm going to attempt to burn as DD.

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
The first error says Windows is hibernated. Ubuntu might think you Windows is in hibernation even if it isn't if you have used the function in the past. You could try turning off hibernation in Windows by using 'powercfg -h off' at a elevated command promt.

rarablue

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Hi Major_Trouble,

Thank you for your reply. I have attempted both powercfg -h off and powercfg /hibernate off and neither have done the trick. I am increasingly suspicious of my old drives

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007

Try just unplugging them only keeping your current Win7 OS. Sounds like Ubuntu is looking at those drives as well to install to.

rarablue

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

Hi again, I wanted to avoid disconnecting the drives as it would require me opening the case and fiddling around with the hardware. I attempted reformatting and burning the iso image a final time using the DD Image option. Thankfully this fixed the problem and allowed me to install alongside my windows partition. Thank you for your replies and continued support!

Solution