Dual Boot Ubuntu & Vista........but Vista dissappeared ?!

yacpro13

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hi guys,
so here's the deal: I had a perfectly working vista OS. Last night I decided to install Ubuntu to dual boot Vista with Ubuntu. Install process went fine, Ubuntu works nicely, but when I boot the computer, I don't have an OS boot option...it always boots straight into Ubuntu. At first I wasn't worried I figured I'd throw the Vista CD back in and repair the bootloader but no, when I boot from the vista cd, it tells me the OS vista cannot be found (and gives me the option to load the drivers?)

This is the first time it happens to me so I'm not sure what to do anymore.

Oh, then I tried booting using a floppy boot disk, but when that's used it tells me winload.exe is corrupted or missing.

I doubt this is right because through Ubuntu, I can see winload.exe so it is clearly there. I even copied another winload.exe from my other vista pc but no.

My disk is partitioned more or less as follow: 100Gb Vista; 20Gb Ubuntu; 2Gb Swap the rest is empty for now.

the 100Gb Vista worked perfectly fine until I created the Ubuntu & Swap partitions using the Ubuntu cd and installed Ubuntu.

Now I'm clueless. Any hint, guide or ideas would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: The only other similar case I found was this one, maybe it'll inspire you!

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/11793

You did configure GRUB to be able to boot to Vista, right? If not, then that's your problem and you're going to have to reconfigure it from Ubuntu. (Assuming you used GRUB and not another bootload... but the same thing applies regardless of which loader you used.)