Dual Boot Vista 64 and XP 32 with both already installed

erock2112

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hey guys. I'm working with my new computer, with Vista 64 bit. I need to dual boot xp 32 for driver compatibility of my audio hardware. I don't have disks for XP. I imaged the hard drive of my old computer (running xp 32) onto a partition of the hard drive for my new computer, following the same procedure one would use when installing a secondary OS on a different partition. The problem is, of course, since I didn't "install" anything, XP is not recognized at boot, and Vista starts automatically. Is there a way to manually set up a dual boot, with both OS's already installed on different partitions? I'd like the end result to be the same as if I had installed one OS and then the other, where I can choose the OS at boot.

Thanks,
Eric

Solution
Step 4 on the page linked below, syschat.com, describes how to add XP to the Vista boot loader.

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html?garpg=4

Take note that it only asks for the partition Vista is loaded on in the command line to be edited.

This method works if Vista is already the default boot loader and XP is installed on another partition.

It is adviseable that you create a backup of the drive before altering the bootloader in case of malfunction.

btk1w1

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Step 4 on the page linked below, syschat.com, describes how to add XP to the Vista boot loader.

http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html?garpg=4

Take note that it only asks for the partition Vista is loaded on in the command line to be edited.

This method works if Vista is already the default boot loader and XP is installed on another partition.

It is adviseable that you create a backup of the drive before altering the bootloader in case of malfunction.

Solution

erock2112

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Ok. I followed those instructions, and am now given the choice between xp and vista at boot. Vista loads just fine, but xp takes longer than it typically should, and then hangs after the loading screen, right where one would choose a user (no option is given). I don't have the xp disk, so a repair install is not possible. I suspect that this has something to do with HDD drivers (or some other issue coming from hardware changes), but I don't really know how to fix that. Booting into xp safe mode also hangs.

erock2112

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Ok. I've decided the issue is because of the differences in hardware between the two computers, and that without an xp install disk to do a repair, it's not going to work.

photowords

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Erock and others,

I'm running Vista 64 with a 2nd partition to boot XP32 so that I can use ProTools (which won't work on a 64 bit computer). I'm able to load all sort of drivers into the 32 bit XP, but not for the ProTools M-box. Anybody have any suggestions how I might get this to work?

Thanks!!

Lonny

therabbitt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009

ProTools is a real nagger in it's install. Make sure you follow the Digidesign handbook on installing PT. I have 7.3.1 working in the same setup. Good luck

elonc

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Hi,
I'm aware this post is already old, but my problem is a variant of the initial member and still not solved.
I've a new VISTA HM 32 PC that I have added the old XP bootable drive to (now D).
Is there a way to tweek bcdedit or the ini file in order to allow the PC booting from the XP disk (D) as second option? (default stays C for vista).

I'd rather use the XP installed disk as it has also outlookexchange that I'd need to work with in order to export my address book to be used in my new pc). preferably without installing XP again thus.

Elon.Cosla@ec-con.nl